PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to on-line play is getting beat up!

CCass
08-14-2003, 12:27 AM
I have been playing at Party for about a month now, mostly playing .50-$1 or single table tournys with $5 or $10 buy in. I am down probably $200. I have ordered HPFAP.

Obviously, i have a lot to learn. I have played poker for many years, and thought i was pretty good, but the loose games at Party seem to beat me up.

Two questions. 1 - Am I better off playing the .50-$1 games, or the single table tournys. 2 - How/Where do i get my stats (# of flops seen, etc...)

NoChance
08-14-2003, 12:45 AM
The book you ordered provides you with a good base for starting hands but some of the tactics in there don't work well for low limits. Winning Low Limit Hold Em is a better book to start with. I don't play as loose as the book suggests but it definately gives you a better understanding of what is happening at the table and why many of those higher limit tactics don't work well.

It is hard to provide suggestions when no information is given as to your play style. Most books say "look for a reason to fold". In other words, don't chase when you are behind. How do you know if you are behind? Well, if there are overcards on the table and there are more then two people in, most likely the flop hit someone's hand. You are better off to fold and wait for better pocket cards.

I would stay at the .50-$1 games rather than the tournaments.

OffTilt
08-14-2003, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing at Party for about a month now, mostly playing .50-$1 or single table tournys with $5 or $10 buy in. I am down probably $200. I have ordered HPFAP.

Obviously, i have a lot to learn. I have played poker for many years, and thought i was pretty good, but the loose games at Party seem to beat me up.

Two questions. 1 - Am I better off playing the .50-$1 games, or the single table tournys. 2 - How/Where do i get my stats (# of flops seen, etc...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Those loose games can be full of emotional heartache, but it's also really nice when your stuff holds up and rake the big pot packed by 5 chasers/callers.

Some quick and dirty advice about these type of games: cards like unsuited face cards go down in value, while cards like suited connectors go up.

Don't hesitate to raise when the time is right just because you are convinced you will be rundown. Proper raising cuts can destroy their pot odds and will really deliver for you in the punishing the guys who go on unfavorable draws in the long run. Just keep reading, researching, and learning.
Best of luck.

OffTilt

------------------------------------------
Start winning hundreds at Texas Holdem with Power Holdem+
http://www.online-pokerguide.com

fireman664
08-14-2003, 09:02 AM
To get your stats, right click on your character at the table. You can right click on the other people too if you want ot keep notes on them. As far as the low limit tactics, I agree with what they said. I would almost prefer J9s over QQ. The field usually doesnt respect raises enough to let you get heads up...so your big pairs or hands like big slick off suit just dont hold up. I seem to lose with AK alot (when an A flops) to 2 pairs since most will play ANY A and hit their off card too. IMO the money in these games comes from hitting your pocket pairs for trips, and from your suited connectors (and suited one gaps). I also find there is no reason to slow play. The chasers chase....even if you have all the good cards. So dont be scared to bet a monster hand in most situations.

rigoletto
08-14-2003, 10:19 AM
cards like unsuited face cards go down in value, while cards like suited connectors go up.

This is a common misconception. Unsuited face cards doesn't go down in value in loose games but their value in relation to certain other hands change. AQo is still a good hand; in a tight game it's a lot better than 87s, in a very loose game 87s gets almost as good as (or maybe even better than) AQo, but AQo still retains about the same EV.

Let me put it in another way: in a tight game calling an UTG+1 limp with KJo in EMP is marginal. If it goes down in value in very loose games shouldn't you then muck it with 3 limpers or more before you!

CCass
08-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the replys. I will start looking at my stats tonight. After reading many threads here, one thing has become very obvious to me, I am playing way to loose, chasing to many hands.

And I think the suited connectors vs AQo (or any other high cards offsuit) is an interesting theory. I am going to do a lot of "watching" tonight.

Thanks again.