PDA

View Full Version : scary turn card??

34TheTruth34
08-13-2003, 10:57 PM
10-20 at Foxwoods, my new poker home /images/graemlins/frown.gif

UTG limps in, I limp in next with 66, 2 more limpers and small blind (an older guy who seemed to be very tight---I hardly saw him play any hands up to this point) and big blind both play. 6 way action, $60 pot.

Flop 4-5-7 rainbow. Checked to me, I bet LP calls, SB calls. 3-way, $90 pot.

Turn is another 4, putting two spades out there. SB thinks for a second and leads with a bet. I don't know much about him except what I mentioned above. Also, he seems to be a regular. My first thought was that he was trying to scare me off the pot and probably picked picked up a big draw like a flush and straight draw. Or maybe he actually hit the four and was just betting his hand. I seriously considered all three options and decided on just calling. I guess mainly because I wanted to see what LP would do. He called also. Still 3 way, $150 pot.

River T (no flush). Again he bets out, I call, LP folds.

What do you put him on?? I don't think I played this hand well, but I'd like to hear your opinions, especially about my play on the turn. Results later.

Clarkmeister
08-13-2003, 11:11 PM
You have to raise the turn because of the LP player. Imagine 2 scenarios:

1. You have the best hand: You definitely want to get it headsup.

2. You are behind to the SB, but have outs: You would like to both clean up your two 6 outs, and would also like to get LP to fold another stiff 6, in case you are up against an overpair or a hand like A4 from the SB . All the pot is better than half the pot.

And since you don't know if you are ahead or not, getting a free showdown is enticing, as is the possibility of getting a better hand to fold (if SB is semibluffing, you could get LP to fold top pair).

Georgia Peach
08-13-2003, 11:47 PM
I would put him on an A7s. I'm thinking he was wondering himself if anyone had hit the straight or had the set of 4s.

It's easy to say from the cheap seats but I think a raise on the turn or a fold would have been better than calling.

I think he has a pair of 7s but would possibly fold fearing a straight in your hand. Your in a bad position being in between the aggressor and the calling station (for this hand) so I think you have to raise the turn to attempt to get rid of the LP and hopefully the SB.

elysium
08-14-2003, 12:47 AM
hi 34
check on the flop 34. the SB's pre-flop call tunrs your marginal bet on the flop to get this thing heads up into a total miss type check and wait to see what is going to happen. you don't see the big mistake in betting the flop, i know, and whew....i'm sure you'd like to really tell me a thing or two about me, my advice, everything. and no, a hundred years from now, you'll still be betting in this spot every time, but as long as you do so knowing that i am strongly against it, maybe truth, just maybe you'll save a bet in some future hand somewhere in the later rounds when you realize that it's gotten away from you.

let me see what you got yourself into here......ok. your bet on the flop worked. i hear the mob rumbling. by the way, the reason i recommend checking isn't to hope for a free-card. it's because of the SB being in this hand. you'll need to think about this before rushing into a conclusion, but as it turned out, even though the SB called, i now like your bet. would it have been a 3-way anyway, even if you hadn't bet? probably. but what i want you to remember is that everyone will rave about your flop bet except for this lone dissenter.

excellent turn call. excellent river call. in this spot, there are some players who would have raised on the turn to get heads up. with top pair best kicker, that would male sense, not here though. i mean some good players may have raised. very good truth. and you correctly call the river.

the SB really drives the value of your hand down to a check and hope on the flop. with the fantastic flop exodus, it now is simply a matter of avoiding having to unexpectantly call two cold. did your bet on the flop cause the flop exits? you have a strong argument there truth that it did. that doesn't make the flop bet right though. and the flop bet makes this a very good post to study.

34TheTruth34
08-14-2003, 11:15 PM
good points. I really wanted to raise, but I didn't. I chose calling probably because the game and players were somewhat new to me. I now think raising is the right play. Two questions for you:

1. how do you proceed if you get 3-bet?
2. how do you feel about the river call?

thanks

34TheTruth34
08-14-2003, 11:16 PM
I agree that I should have raised. What if you get 3-bet?? How do you proceed??

34TheTruth34
08-15-2003, 10:59 AM
He had K4o! for the winner trip fours on the turn. I never saw him play another garbage hand like that for the rest of the night, but that certainly was odd. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Vehn
08-15-2003, 11:20 AM
If you raise the turn and get 3 bet you call and you fold on the river if you dont hit your 10 outer.

Clarkmeister
08-15-2003, 11:27 AM
I know all the rocks around here will disagree, but I don't think playing K4o in the SB is that bad if your opponents are very readable.