PDA

View Full Version : Slowplaying the turn...

OffTilt
08-13-2003, 10:34 AM
How many of you not only slowplay your monsters on the flop but continue just calling on the turn? (in a limit game)

I think as a general rule of thumb this is a bad idea.

Waiting until the river to try to pack the pot doesn't work in general because many players will have missed their draws you let them have cheaply, and they won't pay you off.

Say someone bets into you, you call to keep 2 more guys in the pot, they both call.

For the turn you have added 4 big bets to the pot size.

If you had raised, you would have picked up an extra bet from the bettor, and probably at least 1 of 2 callers behind you. If they're willing to draw for the river for 1 bet, they probably would draw for two. In this scenario you have added 6 BB's to the pot size and possibly 8, maybe even more if you are lucky enough to get reraised.

This bigger pot will induce more stabs for the pot at the river, leading to a bigger payout.

I would only call/check if I was POSITIVE someone would bet/raise behind me so I could checkraise/reraise back at them.

The time for slowplaying is over at the turn in general. You need to pack the pot and protect your hand in case it's not quite invulnerable. Players who will draw for one bet will draw for two. Thoughts?

O-PG

------------------------------------------
Start winning hundreds at Texas Holdem with Power Holdem+
http://www.online-pokerguide.com