PDA

View Full Version : The Natural

07-24-2002, 02:14 AM
While I liked the book a lot better than the movie, and the cable channel that showed it tonight somehow thought 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth was a good time for some commercials, I still got goosebumps again tonight when the game-winning home run hit the lights. I usually hate slow-motion photography at key moments in a movie, but I still think the last 10 minutes of The Natural are glorious. Great music (almost, but not quite ruined for me when I saw and heard Randy Newman sing his words to it the other night), wonderfully orchestrated, makes the scene I think.

07-24-2002, 05:02 PM
OT but just reminded me of my favorite Dave Barry quote:

[i]If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base.

07-25-2002, 01:25 AM
The musical score is one of my favorites. But, the cinematography is what makes this film so enjoyable to watch. The camera shot after the blast into the lights that show Hobbs rounding first is brilliant. The stadium lights are exploding while he is perfectly centered between them in slo-mo. then again as he's rounding third. A really pretty film.

What I would love to know is why Darren McGavin requested his name not appear in the credits. His and Duvall's performances are stellar.