View Full Version : Your opponent may of made a straight?

Blue Sky
08-12-2003, 06:50 PM
This scenario has been happening to me lately and I have reviewed Lee Jones and still don't have a clear idea as to how to play this.

I tend to play many hands that are close in relationship such as J10 or KQ. Now that there seem to be many callers at the river lately (thanks WSOP on ESPN and WPT,) it seems to be getting a little trickier to play these hands on the river when a possible straight gets there.

For example I have J10 and the board hits me with top two IE...flop is Jc 10s 4d

The turn is a blank but the river brings any of the A, K, Q, or 9 to give a possible straight. Keeping in mind that I constantly run into gutshots so they may be there.

Should I bet the river or check and call in this situation? I hate to give up the 3 to 4 BB's I could pull out of these calling stations with a single pair but then again don't want to run into a raise and have to put in 2 BB's to find out my opponent got there. Also should you play it differently based on postition?

J.R.
08-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Bet. No sense fearing monsters, especially when your hand only needs to be good less than half the time against multiple calling station opponents.

GuyOnTilt
08-12-2003, 07:20 PM
You definitely bet the river for value. Against multiple opponents as you mentioned, you hand needs only be good about half the time here. Definitely bet out for value.

Yeknom58
08-12-2003, 07:38 PM
This isn't really a question if I should do this or that in every situation, you really have to consider your opponents and what they might be holding. For example, if the Q falls on the river. Do you really have to fear AK, if there was no raise Pre-flop, probably not. Would someone playing K-9 make it to the river, probably not. This is where you have to use some hand reading skills.

This question is also a good example of the importance of position. If you were in Early position, and lead the betting the whole way and then a K falls on the river, you're faced with a tough decision because of your position, you don't know if someone made 2-pair, straight, whatever. Where as if you were in late position your would have the benefit of your position. If it was checked to you on the river, you might want to bet it hoping any lesser J will call.

So I would say it depends, but for the most part, if there were no raises on the flop/turn, I would bet the river.