PDA

View Full Version : New player Post

JohnM
08-12-2003, 04:06 PM
I recently visited a number of Las Vegas poker rooms and was surprised, when entering a game, at the option I recieved to make my post between the Small Blind and the Button. I noticed that most regulars took that option and, when I asked why, it was explained that you got two hands for the price of the post. As these were locals in the red chip games at the Mirage and Bellagio, I give a lot of credence to what they say but still have to wonder about it. Two hands as opposed to one appears great on the surface but you are paying for the hand that you get out of position. It seems that you would prefer to pay for one good position hand. The lost opportunity cost of the out of position hand could be more than offset by the in position "free play". I have searched the archives and found no posts about this. If it has not already been hashed to death, what do you folks think?

2planka
08-12-2003, 04:38 PM
I'm no authority but I tend to wait for position myself. Some B&Ms have rules about when you can/can't enter a game (one place I played at makes you wait for the bb - even if you're returning to the table after being out).

My thinking is, if you can get a free look in good position you should opt for that over a free look out of position.

Yardbird
08-12-2003, 04:52 PM
I find it very odd to hear that there are cardrooms in Nevada that permit posting between the button and the blinds... General protocol is that a new player between the button and the blinds must either wait until the button passes before being able to post and recieve cards, or wait until the BB comes around to him again before being dealt in.

Essentially, by allowing a player to come in between the button and the blinds, that player sees an extra hand for "free" (relative to the other players) in contravention of the no-free-hands rule.

Although the advantage may be tenuous, it doesn't diminish the fact that it is somewhat unfair to the other players at the table.

HeartsKing
08-12-2003, 05:22 PM
I believe the practice is called buying the button. The way I've seen it done is that you can either post the big blind directly to the left of button to get a hand now (but you won't get the button; the small blind is to your left and the big blind to his/her left) or post the big and small blinds to buy the button (if you do this, you're the only one putting up blinds). I think that how it works; someone please correct me if I'm mistaken. Also, you can come in behind and post, as usual.

Yardbird
08-13-2003, 12:25 AM

Ed Miller
08-13-2003, 05:58 AM
Yes... you are allowed to do this at the Bellagio. In fact, the Bellagio already violates the "no free hands" rule (though, it is not really a rule at all, which should be obvious given how often it isn't heeded). If you change seats, you are allowed to move up to two seats away from the blinds and be dealt in immediately at no cost.

JohnM
08-13-2003, 03:22 PM
You are correct about the post of both the large and small blinds when in the seat to the left of the button is called "Buying the button". I believe that this is a good move when you have missed your blinds and don't want to wait a whole round before you come in. It costs the same 1 1/2 bets that coming in after the button would cost and you get 2 more hands.
My question is about a similar situation but only applies to a new player that is required to post 1 "Blind" before entering the game.

Dynasty
08-13-2003, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes... you are allowed to do this at the Bellagio.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do it at the Mirage now too.

Lately, I've been posting in between the Small Blind and Button when entering a game. I haven't drawn any conclusions yet.