PDA

View Full Version : Limping 1st from the SB

Rushmore
08-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Can it ever be correct to limp in first from the SB?

My common sense tells me it is not. It seems that giving up the opportunity to have a totally random hand lay down and give you the blinds can never be right. Yet I see a LOT of people doing this, and I must admit, some of these players are real, y'know...PLAYERS.

Granted, I see it much more at shorthanded tables (for obvious reasons). It seems to be a short table adjustment that some players make.

But try as I might, I can't seem to find the thought process that leads to the conclusion that this is a good idea. Every so often, you'll see that someone has done it with a monster hand (to try and get some action), but most often, it looks as if they're just trying to get a cheap flop.

Can this be right at a holdem table? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

gunboat
08-12-2003, 04:00 PM
I will almost never limp here. The only conditions I recall doing it is:

1. Late in a tournament when the BB is close to being blinded off, my stack significantly larger and I have a speculative hand such as medium connectors or something like J5 suited.

3. Late in a tournament (heads up or 3 left) just to mix things up a little. I use a randomizing strategy to decide when, e.g. If both my cards are black.

2. The BB is very aggressive and I have a hand where I would like to be raised. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

crockpot
08-12-2003, 08:38 PM
it's rare, but if your hand is fairly bad and you know the big blind is a calling station, it may be correct to just limp in, since it is very unlikely he will raise you and very likely he will call your raise. however, your hand is probably still worth playing for half a bet.