PDA

View Full Version : More On Ernie Els & Monty

07-22-2002, 06:07 PM
Might be the best bad weather player out there, he had the best score, by a few shots, on the worst day at Pebble '00. Johnny Miller called it one of the greatest rounds of all time.

Tiger caught the full brunt of the storm Sat, but Ernie's 72 was the best score of any of the leaders or close contenders, while Tiger's 81 was the worst, 'cept for Monty. O'Meara was paired w/Tiger Sat and shot a 77, so there's no excuse for Tiger not managing the 75 that woulda made the playoff. He'd prolly got used to everything going his way, but he'll come back stronger than ever. He'll likely win Hazeltine in a rout.

Good to see Sergio come up huge Sunday at a major again.

Note to Clarkmeister: The Great White Guppy's record in majors is disappointing only in respect to that he shoulda won many more than he did. If his two British wins were a Masters & a US Open, he wouldn't take near the heat here that he did. Of course, Daly, Janzen, & Andy North won two majors, and Larry Nelson & Payne three, so there ya go.

Monty & Mick are the all time dogs in majors, w/Sergio showing much potential for such a young lad. There's still hope for the latter two but Monty's done mentally, even he can keep it together physically. He's one of the greatest Ryder Cup players ever, but will have to see how he does this year. His current whine about the Euro media is preposterous, sorta like whenever Karl Malone whines about the Utah media.

Who knows how different Monty's career may have been had his score held up at Pebble '92; Elkington not catch lightning at Riviera '95; or he been able to sack up better at Congressional '97 on Friday & the 71st & 72nd greens.

Speaking of which, Els got an EXTREMELY favorable ruling at Oakmont '94 that Miller screamed about, and the normally deadly Loren Roberts yipped in the playoff, so that changed things, as well....

Don't even get me started on Faldo's giftwrapped majors! /images/smile.gif

07-22-2002, 06:14 PM
Monty did have one of my favorite "line scores" for the 1st 3 rounds of a tournament: 74-64-84. If he could have made one more putt on Sunday he would have the nearly perfect 74-64-84-74.

Didn't Nicklaus start one British open 84-66 or something like that? And if memory serves, I think Curtis Strange started one Masters with an 80, then led after 63 holes by 3 or 4 storkes, and then didn't win.

07-23-2002, 06:37 PM
I think Strange may have had an 80 one of the years he won the US Open.