PDA

View Full Version : late in stud 8 tourney

Paul2432
08-12-2003, 10:50 AM
This situation has happened to me in the last few stud 8 tournaments I've played. I've been on both sides.

Late in the tournament, average stack, but only enough money to play one or two hands all the way through.

The situation is a large pair versus a two-way low hand. If I am the pair, I'll come in with a raise, and if called bet as long as the low catches non threatning cards. I am willing to fold if the low catches scary. If I am the strong low, I'll also come in with a raise (or call a raise by a big pair). If I brick on fourth I fold. If I catch good I keep betting unless the high fights back. Then I usually check call until I have a made low. Starting with say 3456 and then catching three bricks kills you late in these tournaments.

So this is the problem. One or two bad hands like this and you are wiped out. Another example, I start with J(TT) and come in with a raise. Low card calls and catches two bricks (9 and Q) with me betting. On sixth street he makes QQ and bets all-in. I make two-pair on the river but he makes a flush.

Note that of course I am noting exposed cards and only playing live hands.

My question, is there a less risky way to play late in these tournaments?

Paul