PDA

View Full Version : Flat calling with AA or KK pre-flop to a hefty bet

Magician
08-12-2003, 05:59 AM
I see some players like to do this especially when the hefty bet thins the field to one or two players.

Is this generally a good move to get paid off or is it a poor play?

Magician
08-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Sorry I mean thins the field to one or two opponents, not one or two players - lol.

Sarge85
08-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Flat calling in tourney play? If there is enough money in the pot, and I've got the absolute best hand pre-flop - I'm pushing my AA all-in. KK I could see calling, though all in wouldn't be bad also. Certainly I wouldn't fold either one of those hands.

Sarge /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

cferejohn
08-12-2003, 04:44 PM
If I have AA or KK, my goal is to get another player all-in preflop, when I defnitely am way ahead. If someone raises me, I'm reraising. If I don't have too many chips, I'll raise all-in. If I've got 10-15 times the raise amount, I might just make it 3 or 4 times the raise in the hope that the other player will re-raise.

Magician
08-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Hi,

Maybe this is the wrong forum - but what about if it's a cash game? Is the move right?

cferejohn
08-12-2003, 07:49 PM
I don't play in cash games as often, but yes, if I think I can get my opponent all-in pre-flop when I have AA, I'll do it. It can be harder when the money is deep, but generally, when the action is to me pre-flop and I have AA, I never call (unless it is the last of my chips and raising is not an option).

fnurt
08-12-2003, 08:37 PM
It can depend on what the other player is like. If you know he will push in all of his chips on the flop regardless of what cards come, then you can make this play. Against an unknown player I would always make some sort of raise.

ZeeJustin
08-13-2003, 09:55 AM
If your stack is big enough that an all-in would cause the raisor to fold, I would not go all-in. Certainly the goal is to get the opponent all-in, but this should be done by smaller raises. If it is already heads up, now your only goal really is to extract the maximum amount possible out of your opponent, since thinning the field is no longer necessary. Basically, you should try to sucker him in, without scaring him away. The proper raise to do this will depend on the opponent. Some times you can do this by "over-betting" the pot.