PDA

View Full Version : Architect of my favorte sports moment dies

Dynasty
08-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Until the Red Sox win a World Series, my favorite sports moment should remain the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team's semi-final medal round victory over the Soviet Union. Even as an 8 year old kid, I had a good grasp on how big an upset the victory was.

It was sad to hear that the coach of that team, Hubie Brooks, died today in a car accident.

http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/2003/0811/1594173.html

HBO often reruns a great documentary on the 1980 Olympic Hockey team called "Do You Believe". I highly reccomend it.

HDPM
08-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Yeah that was a sad one. I have nice memories of that era because my father was involved in college hockey then. I got to spend a little time around some of the Minnesota players and athletic department people at the 1979 NCAA Championship where Minnesota beat North Dakota in the all-WCHA final. At the Olympia in Detroit BTW. I couldn't believe Craig beat out Minnesota's Janasak (sp?)for the goalie job after that either. Janasak was excellent. We were never really friendly w/ Brooks himself though. Herb was kind of his own guy. We also spent some time at the Sports Festival where they picked the team. Missed out on dinner with Bob and Mark Johnson because Mark got food poisoning. Did get a puck at one of the games tho. There was some good college talent then and Brooks was a great coach, but nobody on Earth could have predicted that win. It was such an upset just on the hockey part of it, and when you add all the political ramifications with the Cold War and everything, it was unbelievable. Anyway, I ended up getting an Olympic team picture autographed by Brooks and it got lost. I am so mad about that. I have no idea where it went. When my parents moved I looked through all kinds of boxes to find it. Arrrrgh. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I always liked watching Brooks's Minnesota teams, but the Olympic thing obviously outshines everything else he did. Sad day.