PDA

View Full Version : "never call, raise or fold" playing style

OffTilt
08-11-2003, 08:50 AM
This style of play seems to be getting far more popular in the middle limit online games, leading to what are on the whole tougher games to beat. However, I think a lot of people take this playing philosophy too far.

While the call is often the weakest choice you have, there are times when it's the right play. Guys who raise on a draw and then hit it aren't nearly as well disguised as players who just called and hit it. Raising without a made hand can also open you up to reraises that trash your pot odds.

On the whole, being more aggressive is certainly a good thing, but players are taking it way too far.

OffTilt

------------------------------------------
Start winning hundreds at Texas Holdem with Power Holdem+
http://www.online-pokerguide.com

crockpot
08-12-2003, 03:43 AM
have you perchance read Hellmuth's book?

basically, he believes in the tight-aggressive styles of mike mcdermott. if it's three bets to you, you can cap with AQo or 77, but 66 is a clear fold. and the book is written in the style that you should always give yourself an extra chance to win by raising (though this is not a terrible concept when used in moderation), even if the opponent turns over his hand and shows you the nuts.

i think that, plus the fact that everyone believes the ultra-aggressive three-handed WPT play they see on TV is how the pros win at 5/10, is the reason for the sudden influx of these players.

ReRaise
08-12-2003, 04:05 AM
Raise or fold style only works well if my opponents dont know im a raise fold player. If they realize im raising or folding, Im just a maniac. If I three bet the flop with the nut flush draw, I think my hand is very well disquised if i hit. If you have enough opponents, your pot odds might still be intact, and you raise your implied odds if your hand is better disquised.