PDA

View Full Version : Does this new format bother anyone else?

BruceZ
08-11-2003, 04:39 AM
Not only are replies added in reverse order, but the listing of posts on the main page bears almost no obvious correspondence to what appears in threaded mode once you click on a post. You completely lose your place in the thread, and it's very hard to figure out where you are and who's responding to what.

It's crap. Please fix it.

MMMMMM
08-11-2003, 09:40 AM
The two format changes you mention are bad and it would be great if Mason and/or Chuck would fix them.

Other than those two problems, I like the current system better than what we had a year ago. It is nice to have an automatic feature which tells you when there have been additions or responses in threads which interest you.

Ray Zee
08-11-2003, 11:51 AM
try going into flat mode. you get each thread down the page in its order of posting and the forum shows at startup each thread that has new posts added to it. icnat get the other way to work either and flat is so much better anyway for me.

andyfox
08-11-2003, 12:07 PM
But the flat mode doesn't indicate what post a subsequent post is responding to.

Wake up CALL
08-11-2003, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But the flat mode doesn't indicate what post a subsequent post is responding to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it does. I am in flat mode and your post shows in the subject line header re: Ray Zee.

David Steele
08-11-2003, 12:31 PM
and flat mode is not a substitute for a working
threaded mode.

D.

BruceZ
08-11-2003, 10:47 PM
I don't want to use flat mode. In flat mode you really can't follow the threads. You don't know what post anyone is responding too, so you can't follow the flow of the discussion. You can't refer to other posts without scrolling through a bunch of crap.

I expect to get the modes I am paying for. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wake up CALL
08-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Bruce use:

Decending Date

Flat Mode

Collapsed Threads

This solves the problem you dislike.

Rick Nebiolo
08-12-2003, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it does. I am in flat mode and your post shows in the subject line header re: Ray Zee.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if there are several responses by or to the same author e.g., Mason when he posts a "Hand to Talk About". Let's say skp or Andy Fox replies in several spots and Mason eventually gets back in several spots. In flat mode you can't easily tell who responds to who unless they do it only once.

Neat would be a flat mode that maintains the thread logic with a slight level of indenture (perhaps some sort of graphic pointing to widely spaced posts within threads at nearby indenuture levels).

Regards,

Rick

John Feeney
08-12-2003, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] In flat mode you can't easily tell who responds to who unless they do it only once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's correct.

(Actually I just wanted to see if I could expand on Rick's quote trickery. /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

I do agree that some kind of threaded, flat mode would be best.

BTW, I know Chuck's aware of the reversed format thing. But it turned out not to be so easy to get it back to how it was before. I think he's waiting till he gets some time to dig into it.

Mason Malmuth
08-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Hi Bruce:

Chuck'a aware of the reverse threading problem and is working on it. As soon as he gets it fixed, I'll put an announcement up and of course will take credit for improving our forums once again.

Best wishes,
mason