PDA

View Full Version : Boycott eLROY!

07-19-2002, 03:30 PM
After reading too many of eLROY's posts, I have decided that I will not read or respond to them anymore. Maybe those of you with good intentions think that you can sway him with your thoughtful posts. Don't kid yourselves. This is a closed-minded individual who will take his hateful thoughts with him to his death-bed. If we ignore him, he will go away.

07-19-2002, 03:42 PM

07-19-2002, 04:09 PM
That's right, when YOU don't like people's ideas, they should not be heard.

one of your posts :

"eLROY...the true terrorist. *NM* ("

Why is this better than anything he has posted?

As impolite as eLROY is, there is some logic to most of his posts. It may not be conventional, and many here do not agree with his ideas. But they create discussion, and make people think. Occasionally, there is something truly interesting. On the other hand, your posts seem to be very politically correct and without proofs. They are written with the assumption that you are the enlightened, and everyone knows exactly what you mean in your single sentence because, of course, all sensible people are in your "club". If you wish to be closed-minded and neglect to consider issues because you fear you may come to a conclusion that does not conform with society's opinions of right and wrong, so be it. However, leave those of us who wish to address "tough" issues out of your quest for ignorance. eLROY may not be my roll model, but he has made me think on numerous occasions, even with his namecalling, etc... Remember the idea is not necessarily to sway eLROY, it may be to improve ourselves.

-Glenn

07-19-2002, 05:05 PM

07-19-2002, 05:12 PM
nm

07-19-2002, 05:56 PM
....the 'new Guys' of the world go through life thinking they are too cool for the rest of us. They have all the answers.

Further, I mostly agree with eLROY and will be behind his posts, respond to his post if, fo no other reason, than to say a loud eff-you to the New Guys, the Cyruses, the Chris Algers, the pompous, arrogant "elite" of this world. Props to eLROY!

07-19-2002, 06:28 PM
I certainly don't agree with everythin eLROY posts (understatement), but he does strike me as someone who understands what he believes in and why. This puts him way ahead of most of the smug, politicly correct liberals.

07-19-2002, 06:36 PM
right on, Glenn. New Guy has every right to 'boycott' elroy (though there is nothing to buy or sell here, so i don't see the relevance of the term). it sucks how sheltered we need to be to feel enlightened. i'd rather be exposed to all the crap out there, and sift through it for the gems than to close myself off to it and feel like i've found the be-all-end-all and feel righteous for it.

07-19-2002, 07:29 PM
First of all, the use of the word "boycott" was done tongue-in-cheek. The fact that you knew what I meant but still had to address it says something about your priorities.

Second, how did you come to the conclusion that I lead a sheltered existence? I've travelled a great deal and have been in contact with people of all different ethnic, racial, religious and socio-economic backgrounds. I have formulated my personal ideals directly from my personal experience.

Thirdly, why would anyone wish to expose oneself to crap? Once you recognize it is crap, flush it! This world has its share of hate-mongers, and I see no reason to subject oneself to their rantings. If they have rational arguments, I will gladly listen. If they spout hate, I will not.

Fourth, I've been accused of being polically correct. To the accusers: Thank you. I also believe my views to be correct.

Fifth, before you jump on the eLROY bandwagon, I advise you to check and see who else is on board. Dr. Wogga, one of eLROY's greatest supporters, recently made a post with blantant racial slurs. What is the benefit of exposing oneself to such hateful banter? It goes against the laws of nature to hang around something that stinks.

Lastly, boycott eLROY and his hateful cronies!

07-19-2002, 08:24 PM
Malmuth won't do it. He only bans people opposed to terrorists, pro-Americans, and people who know that internet poker sites are run by criminals.

07-19-2002, 09:01 PM

07-20-2002, 03:10 AM
From the little I've read of eLROY, he seems to genuinely believe the crap espoused (can crap be espoused? ya betcha) by lots of hyper-ventilating hyper-patriots here and elsewhere. Ignoring him doesn't make his ideas go away, it just makes the crap land on someone else's backyard.

I would instead suggest responding to eLROY's posts at one's convenience and with whatever you happen to believe is the truth. (I'm sure there are issues with which you'd agree with eLROY, like there are issues with which I'd agree even with bigots like Wogga. One should not shy away from going there.)

But boycotting bad ideas is a bit like boycotting bad sex. Even if they're bad, having some is better than having none.

07-20-2002, 04:55 AM

07-20-2002, 11:15 AM

07-20-2002, 02:22 PM

07-20-2002, 03:18 PM

07-20-2002, 04:30 PM
I'm sure people know lol! as well. Unless you post your full name, your post is anonymous. And I highly doubt that desire is even your real first name.

07-20-2002, 04:56 PM
Unlike lol, or yourself for that matter, desire has responded to questions posted by others, including myself. In other words, she has contributed something to the fourm.

07-20-2002, 05:59 PM
Looking back at this thread, desire didn't respond to any questions. She merely made a few sarcastic posts that have no content and added little to the discussion. If you're concerned about who is contributing to the discussion and who isn't, look at the name at the top of this thread and the ensuing discussion that sprouted from his post.

07-20-2002, 06:38 PM
"Mason ought to ban anonymous posters"

07-20-2002, 06:45 PM
"Mason ought to ban anonymous posters"

That was me being succinct. My point is that people that attack regularly contributing posters on this forum with one line slam dunks and then sign off with an anonymous name are cowards.

And as far as you finding me "undesirable"..thank you for confirming that my super duper "Geek Repel" is a success.

desire

07-20-2002, 07:06 PM
"My point is that people that attack regularly contributing posters on this forum with one line slam dunks and then sign off with an anonymous name are cowards."

So your remedy is to give them a one-liner back? And since I don't know who you are, you are an anonymous poster as far as I am concerned.

As for calling me a geek, here are the stats:

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 225 lbs.

Sports played: Football, basketball, lacrosse, snowboarding

Marital status: Married

Other non-geek items of interest: Tattoos, play drums in rock band

I did do well in school and have a college degree, but that makes me a good student, not a geek. If you don't believe me, I'll be in Vegas next weekend and would be more than willing to prove it.

07-20-2002, 07:29 PM

07-20-2002, 08:05 PM
She contributed "profiling is inherently wrong".

I suppose it's inherently right to place millions of lives in danger so as not to inconvenience certain people. Come on.

07-20-2002, 09:10 PM

07-20-2002, 09:43 PM

07-21-2002, 03:26 AM
"Thirdly, why would anyone wish to expose oneself to crap? Once you recognize it is crap, flush it!"

well, if there weren't any crap around we wouldn't know what we were missing, and some of the good stuff might not seem so good, without the crap to remind us how good it is. also, i don't think that elroy is full of crap, or has crap at the heart of his posts, or his ideals. i think he is a sharp and witty thinker who sometimes comes across different than he wants to, or should. he has a lot of good ideas, not necessarily things we should follow blindly, but good insights and ways to think and approach things. those are valuable things in this world, and i believe 2+2 is better for it. i don't always agree with elroy, but that doesn't mean that he should be banned, or even boycotted (yes i understood what you meant, no i don't think that addressing the term reflects on my priorities as much as you feel it does. although i understood what you meant, isn't the goal of language to express what we mean as preciesly as possible?). on the contrary, i think that instead of ignoring/boycotting him, we should read his posts with a keen eye, and try to see what he is saying through some of the misguided terms and opinions.

politically correct is neither here nor there, as far as im concerned. im really not that afraid to offend people.

i never said you lead a sheltered existence. i was referring to the extreme hypothetical example of where you kind of thinking can lead us, if we boycott blindly. im sure you've lived a full life, with plenty of wonderful eye-opening experiences. kudos! so have i. however, even the experiences you hint at don't necessarily make for an unsheltered existence. our reality is what we construct from our experiences, not the experiences themselves. and trying to get a bunch of people to boycott another poster because you *think* he posts racist or hateful things leads down the path to the sheltered existence you speak of. you are certainly free to never click on a post of elroy's. but what is the point in trying to get the rest of us to do the same?

"If they have rational arguments, I will gladly listen. If they spout hate, I will not."

see, for me, even if someone is spouting hate, i will listen. it will not change me, but i will listen. for we all need to be heard sometimes. but i will then gladly respond, and dialogue with said spouter-of-hate and try dig deeper at the root of the issue. i don't write people off because i disagree with them.

i couldn't care less who else is behind elroy. can 1000000 elvis fans be wrong?

ps - this rebuttal is not formal. in fact, i don't even think it responds to the post in the right order. i think its still pretty cohesive, though.

07-21-2002, 03:32 AM
"Height: 6'4"

Weight: 225 lbs.

Sports played: Football, basketball, lacrosse, snowboarding

Marital status: Married

Other non-geek items of interest: Tattoos, play drums in rock band

I did do well in school and have a college degree, but that makes me a good student, not a geek. If you don't believe me, I'll be in Vegas next weekend and would be more than willing to prove it. "

anybody who feels they need to post credentials to prove that they are not a geek is missing the point by a mile. playing football definitely doesn't stop you from being a geek. being an all-around jock doesn't keep you from being a geek. then again, i gladly embrace the title of GEEK, so maybe you're not worthy of it after all...

07-21-2002, 06:44 AM
NG: "I have formulated my personal ideals directly from my personal experience."

This is the sure road to delusion (and to conflict with others) because everyone is guaranteed to have such widely differing experiences. Logic, not experience, should be the cornerstone of our world view. Experience should add flavor, color and background but should not supersede logic except to the degree to which it cannot be helped.

07-21-2002, 09:53 AM

07-21-2002, 12:18 PM

07-22-2002, 02:56 AM

07-22-2002, 08:47 AM

07-25-2002, 04:07 AM

07-28-2002, 12:28 PM