PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football - Post your sleeper players here

Clarkmeister
08-10-2003, 10:19 PM
I have my FFL draft coming up on Wed. night. Year 1 of a keeper league with some reliable guys who have been doing this league for a few years. You can keep 3 players from year to year.

Any good sleepers from the 2+2ers? Personally, I love Jerry Porter of OAK as a decent mid round pickup at WR.

FWIW, I have pick 7 in the 10 team league. Draft is snake style.

Josh W
08-11-2003, 02:37 AM
man I love fantasy football. This may sound crazy, especially considering my views of poker (mostly done for fun, but the money is nice), but I think that there is some serious money to be made by fantasy football. Last year I made many thousand dollars.

As far as sleepers go...

Correll Burkhalter
Thomas Jones
Ashley Lelie
Trung Canidate (if he's considered a sleeper)
Brad Johnson (a lot of people know how well Hasslebeck finished the year, not as many are away of Johnson...)
Onterrio Smith
Donte Stallworth may easily get overlooked.

Any ideas on who your first pick is gonna be? Who have you kept so far (or, is this the first year, meaning nobody is kept yet?)

Hope your players stay healthy.

J

clovenhoof
08-11-2003, 03:30 AM
I don't think Jerry Porter can be called a sleeper -- one of the PFW editors named him as his #4 WR after Moss, Owens and Harrison.

There's lots of WR's that could well break through -- Deion Branch, Santana Moss, Donald Hayes and Ashley Lelie are all ones I like, and I don't know if Marc Boerigter can be called a "sleeper" after getting 8 td's, but I think he's gonna get 1000 yds. I think Peerless Price may lay a huge dump in Atlanta, and Brian Finneran will improve on last year's numbers, and I think Kevin Kasper will put up huge numbers with Jeff Blake in Arizona -- well, huge relative to the predictions that somebody will rush for more yards than Blake throws...

I think Kurt Warner is done, Chad Pennington will be huge, and that this is the year to grab David Carr in a keeper league - next year, he's gonna be like Brett Favre in his prime.

By mid-October, people will be wondering "How could I have thought Eddie George had anything left?" Chris Brown will be starting instead, and every team but one in every fantasy league will feel stupid.

I'm hoping Troy Hambrick breaks through in Dallas, 'cuz I got him for $2 in my $190 cap keeper league, but I think he'll be at risk of going on the IR due to splinters in his butt after riding the bench so much. The A-Train is going to make a comeback, Onterrio Smith will be worth what everybody overpays for him in auction leagues, and if Michael Pittman doesn't go to jail, he's going to be worth what everybody overpaid for him last year.

Stephen Davis won't do pro bowl numbers in Carolina, but he'll draw an 8th man into the box that lets Steve Smith catch enough play-action bombs to go over 1000 yds.

My pick for first overall would be Ladainian Tomlinson, but it's a five-sided coin flip between him, Ricky Williams, Clinton Portis, Priest Holmes and, maybe (depending on your league's scoring system) Daunte Culpepper.

I really love football.....

'hoof

Punker
08-11-2003, 05:32 AM
Drew Henson (:

adios
08-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Highly speculative pick at TE but I think he's got a good chance to catch a lot of passes for the Packers and that's Wesley Walls.

Mash
08-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Matt Hasellbeck, can he be considered a sleeper? Pick him up regardless.

David Boston will go off in SD. Pick him up as early as you can.

Porter is a nice pick too, but he will only be as good as Gannon is. Can Gannon go another year without getting hurt?

Tai Streets will be a solid pickup that may slip through the draft.

I also think Peerless Price won't do diddly in the ATL.

Darrell Jackson will put up great numbers this year.

Don't even think about picking up Antowain Smith, or Emmitt.

Marcel Shipp should slip through the draft and be a nice late round pick.

Will Randel El have a Jerry Porter type season?? Being the 3rd best receiver on the team but lead the team in TD recepts. Could be.

Johnny Morton could go off in KC now that he has settled in his role. Make sure you already have your starting lineup core when/if you pick this guy though.

Ragnar
08-11-2003, 12:58 PM
My sleeper is Josh Reed. I disagree with several posters. I don't think the A-Train will bounce back to his rookie year. He should do better than last year, but if you take him you must also take Adrian Peterson. It could be a split situation.

David Boston is extremely risky to take. He must be undergoing more urine tests than normal because of the driving on cocaine situation. That is likely to pickup any possible steroid use. (Not that a guy who gains 40 pounds in two years at a relatively young age and keeps his definition and gets faster would be on the juice) /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Before he got hurt last year he also showed that he has bad hands. He dropped some really catchable balls. The upside is that he is huge, and fast and LaDanian will open things up. He could have a big year, or be busted and not play at all. Big risk--big reward.

I like Onterrio Smith, but Moe Williams will get the goal line.

I love LaDanian, but am much higher on Deuce McAllister than any of the other available running backs except Portis. However, our league has a scoring system that rewards all-around backs with a point for every 10 yards in either category. Scoring system in fantasy is almost as important as position in hold "em.

I'd appreciate it if you post the first round of your draft and include a little more about your scoring system. My draft if very late (on Labor Day).

Ragnar

Clarkmeister
08-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Starting Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, WR/RB, K,
DEF, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench

Statistical Categories (Offense):
Passing Yards (50-1pt)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Sacks (-2)
Rushing Yards (20-1pt))
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (1)
Reception Yards (20-1pt)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Yards (10-1pt)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2 Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)

Statistical Categories (Kickers):
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (0)
Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (0)
Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (0)
Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (0)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Point After Attempt Missed (-1)

Statistical Categories (Defensive Team):
0 Pts Allowed (10)
1-6 Pts Allowed (7)
7-13 Pts Allowed (4)
14-20 Pts Allowed (1)
21-27 Pts Allowed (0)
28-34 Pts Allowed (-1)
35+ Pts Allowed (-4)
Sack (2)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Return Touchdowns (6)

Fractional Points: Yes
Negative Points: Yes

Ragnar
08-11-2003, 03:18 PM
In Clarkmeister's scoring system I wouldn't be quite as high on Deuce as I am in ours (although he is young and this is a keeper league) and would upgrade Ricky Williams. Since you can play 3 RB's I'd try to take 3 in the first four rounds. They are usually a better bet than 3rd receivers.

Quarterback is interesting. Because I'd call this about a half yardage league it is part-way in between scoring and yardage leagues. QB this year is very deep. If I could get good running backs and keep getting them I might try to take the last or next to last quarterback before backups. I think you could get Maddox, McNair, Trent Green at that point, and they probably won't score much less than QB's 6-10. I'm also very high on Kelly Holcomb, but because your draft is tomorrow it is too soon to take him until the QB situation resolves itself in Cleveland.

Ragnar

Clarkmeister
08-13-2003, 10:41 PM
Draft is tonight.

This is the first year of the keeper league, meaning we don't have any players yet. I tried to trade up, but everyone significantly overvalued their picks IMO, so I sat put.

I actually tried to trade down and the same people above me, who then tried to trade up weren't willing to give up much, LOL. Go figure.

So I'm looking best available RB with the 1.7 (round.#)pick. I've shopped the 2.3 and 4.3 picks in the hopes of picking up a late 2 and early 3 but so far no good.

I'm tentatively going to go RB/RB/RB/WR/Def/WR/QB. The top Def's are highly valuable in our scoring system and frankly I think any of the QB's ranked 4-12 are almost identical. I'm just going to take whoever is around and stock up on RBs. I may even go with your man Brad Johnson.

Draft starts in 1 hour.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2003, 02:47 AM
As a correction to the scoring system posted, sacks are not -2 on offense.

I made a trade in the 2nd round, trading my 3.7 and 5.3 picks for a 2.7 and 6.7.

To recap, we start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DEF. We can carry 15 roster spots and use them however we wish.

10 team league. Starting next year we can keep 3 players.

1st rd (7): Shaun Alexander RB Sea
2nd rd (13): Edgerrin James RB Ind
2nd rd (16): Jamal Lewis RB Bal
4th rd (33): Tony Gonzalez TE KC
6th rd (53): Eagles D
6th rd (56): Rod Smith WR Den
7th rd (67): Deuce Staley RB Phi
8th rd (73): Chad Johnson WR Cin
9th rd (87): Steve McNair QB Ten
10th rd (93): Brad Johnson QB TB
11th rd (107): Quincy Morgan WR Cle
12th rd (113): Adam Viniaterri K NE
13th rd (127): Todd Pinkston WR Phi
14th rd (133): Tim Brown WR Oak
15th rd (147): Alge Crumpler TE Atl

Josh W
08-14-2003, 04:12 AM
WOW. McNair in round #9? You are to be commended for waiting that long...but wow...how'd he last that long? I guess I'm used to 12, 14, and 16 team leagues, where he'll go earlier (i.e 90th pick moves from 9th round to 7th round).

The only guy I'm leery of is Rod Smith. He's old, isn't huge, and isn't that fast anymore. With a healthy Mcafferey and Lelie coming on strong, as well as a stud in Portis, I'm not convinced he's a top WR anymore. I think that he and Chad Johnson are about comprable, and it's awesome that you got CJ as late as you did (Did I list CJ as a sleeper? I don't remember....).

Good luck. Here's hoping Edge stays healthy and Shaun gets his nominal 17 TDs this year for you.

Josh

Ragnar
08-14-2003, 08:09 AM
I like the draft. I'd kill if I could get McNair in the 9th round. If the two second season post-op knees hold up you will be golden. I like Morgan where you got him although the Browns have a lot of receiver talent he is the best.

I'm picking 8th in my main league (12 team--no keepers, no defenses--double your yardage points otherwise mostly the same.) Shaun Alexander won't last that long in our draft either.

Good luck with the team.

Ragnar

Clarkmeister
08-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Bump for LarryJoeFish

Joe Tall
08-24-2003, 08:40 PM
8th rd (73): Chad Johnson WR Cin

Great pick, Clark. He's one of my sleepers.

Thanks for the bump,
Joe

gonores
08-26-2003, 08:39 AM
Clark,

I played in a league last year with essentially the same scoring system, and there is quite a flaw in the system. Michael Lewis and Dante Hall each had 2000+ return yards last year (Lewis had 2600+, to my recollection). Lewis and his 15 pts a week was what took me to the championship. Grab either of these as a FA if possible, especially as your crop of receivers are weak.

BTW, decent draft. Alge, McNair, and J. Lewis were all great picks, but I think you overvalued the Eagles D (who lost Hugh Douglas). Duce may or may not pan out as well.

CrackerZack
08-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Hugh has gotten old and crappy. I played 6 seasons of madden 2002 with the eagles, by the end of the 2nd Douglas' contract was an albatross with his diminished skills. It's scary how accurate that game can be. The eagles D still has vincent, taylor, dawkins and a solid front core with a healthy corey simon. I wouldn't worry about them.

Edit: to avoid being labelled as bias I must specify I'm from NY and a Giants fan, not an eagles fan.

Also in response to your post, Return yards are huge also but usually hard to predict as Lewis came out of no where last year.

gonores
08-26-2003, 02:42 PM
Point taken on Hugh...but I still believe that Defenses are WAY too much of a crapshoot to be picking them in the 5th round. Remember how high Chicago was going last year?

Returners do happen to pop up out of nowhere, but they tend to stick around once they do (reference Brian Mitchell, Alan Rossum, Mel Gray, Deion Sanders). Regardless of how crappy a return guy is, if he is returning all kicks for a team, that means he is going to get about 4-5 KRs a game (even you or I could get 20 yds per kick return) and a handful of punt returns to boot. A healthy kick returner is going to put up 10 pts a week in this system regardless of how good or bad he performs.

Clarkmeister
08-26-2003, 03:28 PM
The kick yardage points were eliminated like a week ago. Sorry for the confusion. /images/graemlins/blush.gif