PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Golf

HDPM
08-10-2003, 08:37 PM
OK, I'm on record as hating golf. Not really. But part of the reason I'm posting is to have something to look back on in one year. Club championship this weekend. I knew I had no shot at doing anything. Since everybody at my club sucks, I was in the championship flight. And I didn't finish last in the flight but made a valiant run at it. Yesterday I made two triples and a double without any penalty shots or lost balls. Unbelievable. Blade wedges, chili dips, 12 putts, etc... So today I took a brand new Pro V 1X, marked it and teed off. No doubles or triples. No water hazards. No OB. No birdies. Plenty of three puts, shots where the turf was laid over it, blades, pull hooks, etc.... A nice fresh 10 over. All pars and bogeys leading to an utterly incompetent 82 which was actually an improvement over yesterday. The ball has a few marks on it but at least survived the round. That's what I'm down to, seeing if I can play with a ball until it looks too bad. Even Duval can shoot 82 at my club. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif Nobody in the championship flight played decent. I think two guys tied at 149. I just wanted to shoot 160 and couldn't. You should be able to glue a clubhead to your foot and kick it around in 155. A college girl was the only decent score of 143 from tees way too short for her. She won the women's, but I think she could have shot 148 from the men's tees and beaten everybody. Pros would shoot 125 out there. Maybe up to 130. Good amateurs 135-137. Feh. But before the weekend I scheduled a lesson. And I even hit some pitches and putts after yesterday's debacle. So I am going to start golf all over. totally toss out anything I need to scrap.

I need to learn to hit it hard. Never did learn that. Never have hit it decent really. I need to gain 50 yards off the tee to play with anybody. If you can't easily hit it 280 you can't even play in the state am anymore. If my bad drives were 250 and my good ones 300 I might be OK. My sunday punch this year is 275, might have rolled one 280. That's what I need to do consistently. Without the 220 yard toe hook disasters. Then I need to hit irons closer. And not shank blade chili dip them half the time. Then I need to not 3 putt ever. When I was a kid I had one or two three putts a week. Now it's two or three a side. So I have a lot of work. Which I have not done. SO I need to take lessons, hit balls, work on the short game and get in shape. I'm way too much of a fat pig lawyer to play anymore. So I am going to see if I can do it. One year from now I want to shoot 150 in this tournament. the year after that I want to play in the state am and not make a fool of myself. I need to get down to a 3 or 4 for that. Can't win anything and I don't think I can ever get to the + 1 or +1.5 you need for that, but at least I might be able to advance the ball and get around moderately difficult courses. The way it is now the game is almost too ugly to play. So I'm on record. I will bet adult beverages on the outcome for incentive, but can't bet more than that since I might just be too much of a spastic fat pig head case to make it. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ray Zee
08-10-2003, 09:07 PM
welcome to sports and old age my dear friend. unlike alot of other sports which you dont see your decline until it hits all at once, in golf you lose a stroke every year. and you aint gettin it back. shuffle board is next.

ray taking his pin to hdpm's bubble

HDPM
08-10-2003, 10:07 PM
One advantage I have is that I am much more of a never-was than a has-been. I have been better but I never really achieved a high enough skill level. So it is easier to get better when you start as a total chop. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif