PDA

View Full Version : "Casablanca" New Two-Disc Edition DVD Review

Mark Heide
08-09-2003, 11:05 PM
This edition of Casablanca is loaded with extra. I have not been able to view it all, but will comment on some of it.

On disc one Lauren Bacall gives a short introduction to the film. The digital tranfer is excellent and makes the film look like it was just released.

Since, everyone should be familiar with the movie, I'll comment on the extras. There are two comentaries one by Roger Ebert, and the other by film historian Rudy Behlmer. I found Eberts commentary to be what you would expect from a film critic. It is informative, but not entertaining, for I was bored to death and couldn't watch the movie with him talking for more than half an hour. I have not viewed it with Behlmer's commentary yet. As far as commentaries are concerned, I find the most interesting ones when actors and directors that made the film to have entertainment value. Like in Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451 Julie Christie does a commentary about the film and its relation to politics.

The second disc contains A Tribute To Casablanca hosted by Lauren Bacall, Bacall on Bogart, outtakes, Bugs Bunny cartoon "Carrotblanca, Radio production of "Casablanca", and a 1955 TV series adaption of Casablanca. So, far I've watched the cartoon (which is in color and stereo) which is a good spoof of the film. The 1955 TV series adaptation is lame, but it is somewhat interesting because the enemy in this show is the Russians instead of the Nazis.

Good Luck

Mark