PDA

View Full Version : A Well Trained Dog -AKA Zee Was Wrong

HDPM
08-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Zee predicted our new cocker spaniel would pee on my shoe. What does he know about dogs? The dog has never peed on my shoe. Or HDPW's shoe. He pees on HDPW's secretary's shoe though. And strangers at Petsmart. Even after they're warned. But he's cute so people want to see him and then he pees on their shoe. Pretty well trained dog that he only pees on strangers, huh?

Mark Heide
08-09-2003, 10:48 PM
HDPM,

I was under the impression that they usually pee to mark their territory. Could he have done your shoes when you didn't have them on?

Good Luck

Mark

Ray Zee
08-10-2003, 11:07 AM
dont be so anxious with the little critter, give him some time and he will pee on your shoe or at least eat it. now that you are atttached to him he knows he can have his way. you poor sucker.

HDPM
08-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Here again you are wrong. He won't eat my shoe. He has enjoyed a meal consisting of HDPW's shoes tho. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Timer
08-10-2003, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zee predicted our new cocker spaniel would pee on my shoe. What does he know about dogs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only had one cat in my life, and I trained it to go outside. I put the litter box by the front door, and everytime he would go to the litter box (while I was watching) I would yell, "NO."

Finally, after about ten times yelling no, he walked over to the door (this is what I was waiting for), and I leaped to open it.

After that, he went to the door every time. In fact, if I was in my bedroom sleeping with the door closed, he would sit outside my door and give a high pitched meow until I got up and let him outside. He gave the same signal when he wanted back in.

One day this cat came home with an eight inch trout in his mouth.

Some cat.

HDPM
08-10-2003, 07:55 PM
It's all individual w/ the animals. The last dog I had was a total idiot - you can check my old posts about him. But he was housebroken after one or two examples - just catch him, put his nose in it a little and say "NO NO NO!" and toss him out. He was fine like on day two. This dog is a lot calmer but is stupider when it comes to housebreaking. We'll see.

Wake up CALL
08-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Remember, you MUST catch puppy IN THE ACT of inappropriate elimination to facilitate an effective lesson. Rubbing his nose in "it" afterward (even by just a few moments) only teaches him that "doo doo" in the house gets him in trouble. "Oh no", you say, "my dog KNOWS!". Well, not really. A behaviorist once told me he illustrated this to a skeptical client by sending the client out of the house while he collected stool from the backyard and set it in the middle of the living room. The client was invited back into the house and the dog ran and hid! Here's another example of how dogs think: Puppy poops where he shouldn't and wanders into another room to quietly chew a bone. The owner finds the poop, locates the puppy and drags him to the mess and stuffs his nose in it. Puppy wonders, "I was off chewing my bone and now I'm getting my nose shoved into this mess! I just don't get it! I get punished for chewing my bone?"

TIMING...of catching the puppy in the act in order to correct and teach...of PRAISE for appropriate elimination...is everything and CONSISTENCY is the key! Proper behavior must be praised EVERY TIME you give a command and it is followed.

HDPM
08-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Let's just say I have caught this one in the act a lot more than the last one. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif