PDA

View Full Version : a 3-6 hand....betting a loser

microlimitaddict
08-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Reasonably new and still learning...opinions sought.
Had to throw in a final bet on this one...even though I was pretty certain it was beat.

3-6 online - normally i play smaller stakes, especially at stars....but i'm trying to make my FPP requirement plus the flop% was 51 so it looked like a potentially decent game.

stars ring-games aren't quite as tight with the additional players from their advertising and their deposit-bonus speciall.,...but that's a different topic.

I get KK on the button and raise after 5 or 6 limpers.
I think all but 1 call.

Flop - JJ4

checked around to me so I decide to go ahead and bet...if someone raises me then i'll know where i stand...perhaps i should just go ahead and check here and see if anyone bets the turn.
get one caller (middle position as I recall)

turn is a blank (maybe a 7 or something) and it's checked to me again and i bet again... he calls.

i figure if he had a jack he would have raised here so i figure my kings are good at this point.
he possibly has a 4 or a pocket-pair.

river, of course, is a 4
board is JJ474 -
he bets at which point I'm pretty sure I'm beat. pot is at $50 or so...and it's still possible he has 8's or something.
so i call just to see his 10-4. maybe he's a trucker and it's his lucky hand or something..i don't know.

the question is this...on a board of JJ744, if someone bets then it's pretty obvious that my KK is probably worthless. do you call here for $6 on a pot of $50 or so on the chance that he was a 7 or some other pair?? i guess for a call to be correct he only needs to be bluffing with nothing around 1 out of 8 or 9 times or so. is that accurate??

i may have totally screwed up the logic on this so feel free to get me on course if necessary.

Squirrel
08-09-2003, 05:49 PM
I play the hand exactly the same.

I also call the river, and then walk to the fridge for a beer.

Players will bet the river as a bluff, or with a pair higher than 4's expecting a call from an Ace.

Mandatory call in this decent sized pot.