PDA

View Full Version : 4 jacks wired

mostsmooth
08-09-2003, 11:34 AM
i called the bring in rolled, caught quads on 4th, the two remaining players didnt have a card over an 8 and they were rags
one was a decent player, one was an average player at best player
i know what i did,what would you do?

Fraubump
08-09-2003, 02:18 PM
You need your opponents to catch up. Most people will fold to a paired door card. When you have trips on 4th you should protect your hand and bet, except maybe with trip aces. But with quads I would just keep checking at least until 6th. It will be very hard to get any bets out of your opponents unless they make a made hand of some sort. Of course, your game conditions will vary--if you've got players who will call a paired door card bet, go ahead and bet. A bad beat jackpot would be added incentive to give away free cards.

Dynasty
08-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Usually, you should play (x,y)J,J, (x,J)J,J, and (J,J)J,J the same way. Bet. However, since your opponents don't even have an overcard, checking is probably best here.

CJC
08-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Hi,

Situations like this are so rare they are almost not worth talking about. I think this has happened to me maybe 3 times in my entire poker career.

First to properly answer your question, we really need to know what limits you were playing.

But I guess we would just check here, not much else you can do.

CJ

Ed Miller
08-09-2003, 04:06 PM
7CSFAP suggests you check in this spot, even if you think it will give away your hand. Certainly with no overcards out, I agree that I think that's best here.

Mr. Peterson
08-14-2003, 09:39 PM
Had a similat think happen in a heads up stud game recently. My opponent raised with A showing i called with 664. He pairs his A on 3rd i hit a J. He checks. Nor surprising i check as well. On 6th he pairs 9s as well for AA99 board and checks. I check. on river i make a straight to the 6 he bets I fold and turn cards over.

There is no option but to check, but don't expect to make money either way. They will probably only assume trip J not quad J but still you better hope theres a high hand bonus if you want to make any more money out of it.

Mr. Peterson
08-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Excuse the typos. Im not inbred its just freezing cold here.

daryn
08-17-2003, 10:03 PM
did you people misunderstand? or did i?

he didn't have a pair on the board, he had JJJ down at the showdown.. am i right?

Dynasty
08-17-2003, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did you people misunderstand? or did i?

he didn't have a pair on the board, he had JJJ down at the showdown.. am i right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood. This is from the original post:

i called the bring in rolled, caught quads on 4th

The use of the term "wired" in the title is not very good here. But, it's obvious he made quads on his fourth card.

7stud
08-18-2003, 07:41 AM
i called the bring in rolled

"rolled" : rolled up; dealt trips; 3 cards of the same rank on the first three cards.

punkass
08-18-2003, 11:45 AM
I'd probably bet 4th, and would expect to take the pot right there 90%. It would be the same if you checked....they aren't calling you then, they aren't calling you later unless they get trips too. If you do get called on 5th, then I'd check. It's just too suspicious to check on a paired door card that is the high card on the table.

Bet 4th st, and see who really wants to play, then check 5th, and take their money on 6th and 7th. Hopefully they get a flush or a boat or something. But 90% of the time, I'm expecting to win the buyins.

Dynasty
08-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Are you trying to teach me something? Or are you just practicing restating the obvious?

7stud
08-19-2003, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably bet 4th, and would expect to take the pot right there 90%. It would be the same if you checked....they aren't calling you then, they aren't calling you later unless they get trips too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, which is it? Bet and just get the antes, or check and hope someone makes a hand they can't fold?

punkass
08-20-2003, 12:32 PM
I was trying to explain, poorly at that, that a checked high door card is too suspicious of slowplay. Play it like you would if you just had a pair of Js and nothing else, and that is what they will think, hopefully. I would bet 4th street because it's pretty much an autobet. They expect you to. If anyone calls, great. Hopefully they get a high card on 5th, and you can check, "fearing" a higher pair.

Sorry if my previous post was vague.

bugstud
08-20-2003, 03:47 PM
This is lower limit, so I'd like to hear how agressive the table is. I'd personally check here almost 100%, only if I had certified maniacs would I even consider a bet.

Mr. Peterson
08-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Bet gets fold closer to 99% not 90%. Check until 7th then bet (unless someone else makes open trips). Then they fold on 7th anyway, but sometimes back into a straight of flush and you get one bet more.

Remember there are no good hands, only good situations.