journalists 38%

government officials 26%

lawyers 25%

stockbrokers 23%

ceo's large corps 23%

managers hmo's 20%

hmmmmm...pro athletes that high????

07-17-2002, 12:16 AM
I am surprised lawyers are that high. But I am shocked Catholic priests are that high. They would have to be close to 10% given the huge coverup etc... I would put them well below lawyers. And I don't trust lawyers. Teachers are way too high too. Don't people remember their teachers? I guess I would trust the top 10% of any of these groups, and distrust everyone else. But I am a hopeless optimist.

07-17-2002, 01:18 AM
Suppose you are a rich journalist that owns a small business - Or other combinations etc. I think current trends and perceptions drive much of these numbers and individaul experiences also color many opinions, including mine. For example, I would rate Lawyers above Journalists and real estate brokers (if they had asked about them) should be at the very bottom, but that is my take on the trust issue.

It would be interesting to see how Scientists would rate. And also Atheists. I would be more inclined to trust an Atheist Lawyer than just about anybody else mentioned on the list. But then, scientists are a quarky bunch.

-Zeno

07-17-2002, 09:56 AM
"Teachers are way too high too."

Well, maybe by a point or two. Trust me.

John

07-17-2002, 12:58 PM
You can only trust or distrust an individual. That's the problem with lists like that. I may or may not trust an individual in any of these groups. I suppose a way to look at it would be to measure a presumption against trusting someone from these groups before you get to know them. I would put Catholic priests at the very bottom, because they have knowingly signed up to work for an institution which has a demonstrated, historical track record for trustworthiness. The psychological reasons for their choice are also a factor. That may be a controversial view, but I am not saying I would distrust every priest. As for other people in these groups, I start out assuming that somebody will act like a typical whatever. A politician I trust to do the politically expedient thing. A lawyer or journalist I expect will act a certain way. (yes, I am more careful around journalists) Some surprise me and act in a very trustworthy, honest way. Others act reprehensibly, i.e. much worse than the average with actual malice. But it's all individual.

07-18-2002, 01:33 AM
Enjoyed your points HDPM and agree. I find the polls interesting not only for there face intent (which is mostly bogus as you pointed out) but also from a sociological aspect. What the poll reveals of peoples impressions of groups and/or professions as a whole. Anyway, if I ever need a well-armed Lawyer....

-Zeno (on vacation starting tomorrow)