PDA

View Full Version : 1936 Berlin Olympics- a surprising footnote

Dynasty
08-09-2003, 04:57 AM
I was watching a little History Channel tonight and came across something about the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Adolf Hitler's Germany which really surprised me. I had never head of it before.

When the French team walked into the main stadium (apparently during the opening ceremonies), they gave either Hitler or the general crowd the "Hitler salute" (that straight armed thing). It looked like the whole French team was giving the salute.

Isn't 1936 a bit early to be surrending even for the French?

brad
08-09-2003, 07:05 AM
not sure but i think it goes back to rome that salute.

the sieg,heil (victory?,yes!) thing hitler got from american football cheerleaders.

Uston
08-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Jackie Robinson's brother, Mack, finished second to Jesse Owens in the 200-meter dash. In your face, Hitler.

HDPM
08-09-2003, 07:21 PM
I am not sure this is correct, but I have heard that the straight armed thing was a typical way to salute a flag in those days. Hitler pretty much ended that. I have even heard that our flag was saluted like that back in the day. Not sure though. But it could have been simply a salute to a flag, even a French flag. See any all white banners around? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif