PDA

View Full Version : British Open Predictions

07-16-2002, 06:58 PM
Tiger will win. Gee, that was hard.

Actually, though, Sergio could possibly do something, he won the British Amateur at Muirfield, and what a story Faldo would be. He's playing better than he has in years, and has won twice at Muirfield, which has an incredible former champs list: Faldo, Watson, Trevino, Nicklaus, Player.

Of course, Carnoustie *HAD* a great champions list, too.... /images/smile.gif

No real offense to Paul Lawrie. They held a tournament and he won, plus he played magnificently at the '99 Ryder Cup. Not his fault that VDV lost his mind & Leonard gripped the playoff. To say that Lawrie benefited from local knowledge and the wacky setup in '99 would be putting it mildly, though.

07-16-2002, 07:46 PM
all i want is a british open where the wind is so strong it looks like the real struggle is remaining upright long enuf to hit the darn thing anywhere...lol...gl..actually i am wagering on tiger..i know stupid bet, but ya know..he's bringing the bacon home...i'm betting the nuts..tiger..bet against me suckers...gl

07-17-2002, 12:18 AM
It's hard to bet on him at some prices, but nobody ever will get rich betting against him either. My Masters bet on "field" did real well.

07-17-2002, 12:52 AM
Waggle Boy!?! I don’t think so. I’d even go so far out on the limb as to pick Garcia not to win, place, or show. Good strokes reside in the muscle-memory part of the brain where thinking only gets in the way. It’s a good thing he doesn’t play tennis.

With a relatively shorter course and the huge penalty for playing out of the rough, I’m looking for straight shooters like Leonard, Toms, or Maggert to do well. I know Maggert is a real dark horse, but I liked his focus at the U.S. Open. Mickelson, on the other hand, doesn’t have a prayer, unless they let him carry a weed-eater in his bag. Els might fall into the same category.

Disclaimer: I am almost never right when I make sports predictions. Too much waggle.

Bottom line: If Woods is stroking, no one can touch him no matter what. Nice pick.

Tom D

07-17-2002, 01:30 PM
Maggert's got the most beautiful swing in the world until the final 9 holes. I predict HDPM will win a major before he does.

My dark horse pick is the guy with the second prettiest swing (NOT!) Jim Furyk. He hits a lot of fairways and seems to handle pressure well when he gets in the lead.

As for my sports predictions, the guys at my regular poker game use to "ask Andy" and then bet the opposite, with excellent results.