PDA

View Full Version : Some hands in 10-20 and 20-40 games

PocketKings
08-09-2003, 02:42 AM
Last night I played at both 10-20 and 20-40 games.

While playing 10-20 games, I counted that I had played about 19% of hands dealt to me (this also included on the blinds and saw flop "free.").

Is this percentage of hands played still too high for the sake of "non-self-weighting"?

I did remember when I saw every player, except the UTG called in front of me and I called with Qd7d pre-flop at cutoff position, plus the button. Is this a good call at all?

Here're two specific hands I made mental notes for this forum...

Hand 1:

Only one hand I think I played "out-of-my-comfortable zone."

I had JJ and raised at cutoff position. Both blinds called. While the player at small blind is a loose/passive player, the player at BB is a tight/aggressive player. And he knows I respect his bet and raise.

Flop 2c 5h 6h
Turn Js
River Kh.

I bet flop and river, and dropped the SB on the turn. River card came, BB bet and I raised him and he showed his cards to SB and throw them away.

What he had? Did I do right thing to raise him when the third flush card came?

Hand 2:

This was at 20-40 game.

I called UTG with QhJh. The player next to me called and the button as well. Both callers are loose players according to what I had seen their showing hands. Esp. the player left next to me. He liked to bluff with flush draw by betting all the way. But he is a very good hand reader to what I feel and plays well post-flop.

SB fold.

Flop came Qs 3s 7h.

I felt so sure the player next to me would bet if I checked. Yes, he did and was called byt the button. The BB raised them and I was pretty sure that the BB knew that he was raising weak hands. Thus I three-bet. Only BB called. BB was a total stranger to me.

Turn 7c.

BB bet into me. I was thinking about raise again, but ended up just called him down.

River 8c. He bet and I called. He showed me Q8o to win the pot.

I have been thinking about should I had raised him on the turn again, I could have pressured him to lay down his hand.

He must put me on a flush draw by betting the turn.

Hope I can get more insights from you about playing of both hands.

Thanks in advance!

elysium
08-09-2003, 03:05 AM
hi pocket
it's a bad idea to call with Q7s unless it's a steal-raise defense, or of course free from the BB. you can steal raise with it as well, but that's about it.

nothing else in your post is glaringly deficient. on the turn in hand 2, if you don't have a good read on your opponent, calling it down is fine. if, however, he is loose aggressive, then you can easily raise the turn. you must have a good read before raising. i don't think you had that, or if you did it wasn't suggestive of a raise, so i think you played it fine.