PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Live In A Nursing Home You Ask?

HDPM
08-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Here's another good story of humans in all their glory. web page (http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0803/97994.html)

If you go to a nursing home you need to keep your faculties and your guns. Keep a 45 under the blanket on your wheelchair or something. I don't think a nursing home is a lifestyle choice I'd make. No thanks.

Ray Zee
08-09-2003, 09:33 PM
when your idea of a quality life is no longer possible it is time to move on. and a nursing home doesnt fit the bill. it is a place kids park their infirm relatives so they dont have to deal with them. sad.

Mark Heide
08-09-2003, 09:54 PM
HDPM,

It's not a place to live, but a place to die. You have to be really picky when it comes to putting your parents and grandparents in nursing homes, and I suggest you do a lot of research first.

As Ray has said it's the kids that put them in nursing homes, but I really don't fault them in most cases. I believe this problem is more common today because the standard of living has decreased in the USA.

In todays families, both husbands and wives work to be able to afford a home. The evidence I present is that there are more nursing homes and child care centers than there ever was before. In the past men used to be the ones that worked and had a good enough income to support both their wife and children. Furthermore, with the wife being able to stay home this had always presented an opportunity for a parent to move in with them when therir parents had retired from the work force.

Good Luck

Mark

HDPM
08-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Agree with you totally, once you can't live it's time to check out. Go to the top of the mountain and freeze to death or something. No nursing home for me thanks.

Ed I
08-09-2003, 11:59 PM
While getting to the top of the mtn. may not be possible, sitting under a tree until one exits certainly seems better than a nursing home. It is strange that when people reach that age they accept the nursing home. Maybe other options are only in the minds of younger folks.

John Feeney
08-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Well, you know, in a lot of other cultures you have extended families with the older generation living with the younger ones. We're not used to that and have a hard time with the idea of the parents or in-laws moving in with us. But, hey, it's one option. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

HDPM
08-10-2003, 10:44 AM
I would feel too guilty forcing myself on a kid. I may have goofy ideas of family, but I do not believe you should ever have a child with the idea of living off the kid. No person can demand that another person live for them. Parents living with kids do this in a sense. Some kids might prefer to take care of parents. I guess that's their choice. But any feeling of obligation or guilt on the child's part means what the parent is doing is immoral.

David Steele
08-10-2003, 11:58 AM
I have seen one my Aunt was in that was great.
It was like an appartment building with lots
of servents. Lots of intersting social interaction
and flexibility to do what they wanted.

In a nice urban neighborhood too.

I dont think its typical though.

D.

John Feeney
08-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Yeah, it's not a good idea if either the kid or the kid-in-law doesn't want it.