PDA

View Full Version : It Sure Is a "Man's World" [ Golf ]

07-14-2002, 07:45 PM
I don't play golf, but I'm with my son a while back and I pop up the t.v.-guide menu that's provided for cable television. On one of the channels it reads "Women's Golf," and then on the channel right below it reads "Golf."

I said to my son, "What the heck is this?" He teased me for a while saying that you have women's golf, and then there's "golf "--R E A L golf. Okay, I realize women can't compete with Tiger Woods and the rest of the men's tour, so it really didn't bother me too much that they distinguish between the two when it comes to advertising. But here's the kicker:

The next day I'm jumpin' through the channels and I notice there's a bunch of old geezers playing golf on some "Men's Senior Tour." So out of curiosity I pop up the t.v. menu and sure enough it reads "Golf."

It really is a Man's World [for now /images/wink.gif].

07-15-2002, 12:02 AM
I don't think you have to be a man to play "men's" golf; you just have to be able to play well enough. To play women's golf, you have to be a women. Hence, you have golf, which does not discriminate, and you have women's golf, which does.

Tom D

07-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Is this true? Are women eligible for the men's tour but men not eligible for the women's tour?

07-15-2002, 03:10 PM
I tried to download an application to Q-School to see, but couldn't get it. I don't see how the tour could keep women out if they played the same tees when Casey Martin gets to play by rules he dictates.;-) The USGA website lists the tournaments as "Open", "Amateur", vs. "Women's Open", "Women's Amateur" and lists max handicaps to enter. There is no mention that you have to be a man to enter the US Open, and I'm pretty sure anybody can enter. You might be surprised at the gap in abilities at that level, as well as the women play on tour. And a big part of the difference is in the short game, believe it or not.

07-15-2002, 04:21 PM
I called the PGA (904) 285-3700, and asked the lady who answered the phone if women are specifically excluded from PGA tournaments, and she said that they are. I would have questioned her more, but she seemed a little annoyed.

It has always been my understanding that women were not excluded, but I don't remember why I thought that. Sorry for the misinformation.

Tom D

07-15-2002, 05:44 PM
That wouldn't stop a woman from trying to qualify for the US Open which is not a PGA event[although the results are recognized].

There are probably several Open courses where one of the top four or five women could make the cut at a men's Open. Maybe.

07-15-2002, 06:04 PM
Very doubtful actually. At Bethpage the top women would probably not break 90, certainly not 80. At Pinehurst, their short games would be exposed. Pebble Beach with wind, high 80's and 90's again. I respect the women's games too, they play well. But you are underestimating how tough the courses are. At my best, I was not as good as any of the women tour pros, but I hit it as long as a lot (not all) of them. When I was maybe a 5 or 6 handicap I could not have broken 90 on a US Open Course I don't think. I worked at the '85 PGA when I was shooting 72-76 on easy public courses. I would have been very happy with anything below 90. Breaking 100 would have been OK, particularly without forecaddies to find balls in the rough. They didn't tell us we could tee it up Monday after the tournament. I was mad. By Sunday the greens were dying they were so hard and dry. The rough was brutal, but not as bad as at some US Opens. I don't think I could have advanced it more than 85 yards out of most of it. And the biggest difference would be on the greens as I mentioned above. The men are way better putters, even though people think the LPGA pros can putt as well. The difference around the greens would be more pronounced than off the tee potentially. I'd like to see some women try though, to maybe put the debate to rest. But I think there is great risk for a woman to try, because of the potential for criticism.

07-15-2002, 06:17 PM
Also, when the US Open comes to a course, the course is ready when the male club pros can't break 80 on it. These guys know the course and are good players, probably +1 or +2 or something at their home course if they maintained a handicap. Guys who had Division I scholarships etc...