PDA

View Full Version : Road to Perdition

07-14-2002, 12:19 AM
Saw Road to Perdition today. Reminded me very much of Unforgiven. Beatiful movie, very well done. I liked it a lot. Probably will win the Oscar for best movie, and Hanks and Newman are certain nominees, with Newman a probable winner. The audience applauded at the end, but my wife and her friend appreciated it, but didn't love it.

The plot doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it's about the characters and themes. If you're into cinema, you'll like this one. And you won't soon forget Jude Law's performance

07-14-2002, 09:38 AM
I too saw RTP. The vote amongst our group of four was 3-1 in favor. I was the one. While the movie was well done, IMO, the plot was less than ideal. The characters were not really ones you could identify with, even the kid.

Everyone else enjoyed it though, so maybe I just missed the boat.

Danny

07-15-2002, 12:00 AM
Saw the Road to Perdition today. It is good and worth seeing. A few things could have been done a bit better but considering the usually Hollywood- summer-teenage-movie-trash this picture is the best thing that will come out this

Summer and will probably be one of the best movies of the year.

-Zeno

07-15-2002, 10:46 PM
A professional would never have left Jude law's character alive.

Why was the dog at the beach house if everyone else was gone?

07-15-2002, 11:29 PM
After being so careful for so long, he walks into an empty house, sees the dog on the beach and. . . relaxes by the window? Why would he trust Nitti's "word" ("OK, but you have to give me your assurance that after this it's all over") when he knew Nitti was not to be trusted (when he stepped out of the elevator when he first went to see him)? I agree, a lot of flawed plot elements, but I liked it anyway.

07-16-2002, 07:46 AM
I liked it too. I still would have preferred for the hanks character to be a bit more malevolent if for no other reason to see if hanks could pull it off. Here, again, we see him playing an honorable, just and "nice" guy in a world of evil. Still not exactly the "stretch" the buzz promised.

07-16-2002, 07:59 PM
You're right: if he had been really evil, it would have been better, like Henry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West.

07-16-2002, 09:12 PM
One of my favorite movies is Flight of the Phoenix. You get to see the lovable Jimmy Stewart play a rather unlovable pilot.

And I'll never forget the first time I saw Double Indemnity. It blew my mind that EG Robinson was the good guy and the father from My Three Sons Fred MacMurray was the bad guy. What a movie!!

07-16-2002, 11:12 PM
I loved Double Indemnity. When Fred MacMurray read the script that Billy Wilder sent him, he told Wilder he didn't think he wanted to do it. Wilder asked him if he was worried about the immorality of the character. No, MacMurray said, the role requires acting . Wilder said don't worry about it, I'll take care of you. I thought MacMurray was great.

Seems to me Peter Falk's Columbo was taken from Robinson's role in Double Indemnity and Sharon Stone's character in Basic Instinct was a direct descendent of Barbara Stanwyck's.

07-17-2002, 09:42 AM
Sammy B.,

I agree with Flight wholeheartedly--it's one of those movies that every time I'm flipping through the channels and it's on I can't help but watch the whole movie. For some reason, I never grow tired of this one.

John

07-17-2002, 02:06 PM
I too am a Flight of the Phoenix fan. I especially enjoyed the fellow who played the German.

Danny