PDA

View Full Version : Agressive in low limit?

BreaKBeatZ
08-07-2003, 02:07 PM
This is my first time posting here. I've been playing low limits online for about 2 months now, and I read the posts on this page every day from work. It seems to be the best poker forum on the web. I think I have a lot more poker experience than most who have been playing as long as me because my roommates have been making a living playing online for about 3 years. They have made a LOT of money, and now play mostly 100/200 or 200/400 hu, or 80/160 tables. I consider them experts at the game, and they have been consistant winners for years, even in the toughest games.

Both of them play MUCH more aggressively than anyone on these forums talks about. Even at a 10 player table they raise or reraise hands preflop that most of you would never play. I understand that this works better in higher limits because you wont find the calling stations that are always in low limit games. However, I've been playing pretty aggressively at the lower limit tables (not as aggressively as them) and I've had consistently good results over the past 2 months. I've found that it's not impossible to get these calling stations to fold, I have pretty good success with bluffing them. What I've found is that these loose low limit players will almost never fold an ace, so trying to bluff or semi bluff here is a terrible idea. If the table is narrowed down to 3 or less on by the turn I will often semi bluff with middle pair or low pair. I've had a lot of success so far with calling the flop, check raising the turn, and betting the river if they didn't reraise the turn. Granted, you will lose a lot of hands this way, but I've definately made more money than I've lost by playing aggressively. Also when you win, you usually win a lot of bets because they will wait till the river bet to fold. I will usually try this 2 times at a table and then tighten up since players are expecting it of me. Then they start calling my legitimate hands with pretty crappy ones. I havent really seen much talk on this board about tricky play in low limit games. It seems like most people think it's a bad idea, but it's worked for me so far. Please post your opinions.

Bob T.
08-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Seems reasonable to me. Clearly, one path to poker success at any level, is to play aggressively.