PDA

View Full Version : Anaconda Strategy

Al Mirpuri
08-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Lots of slightly different games go by this name so allow me to define the game. Each player is dealt seven cards. There is a round of betting. Each player passes three cards to the player on his left. There is a round of betting. Each player passes two cards to the player on his left. There is a round of betting. Each player passes one card to the player on his left. There is a round of betting followed by a showdown.

Limit Anaconda:
Starter cards: any trips, two pairs (both pairs high), Aces up, Kings up, four card straight flush (whether open both ends or not) and quads.

End bet: check a small full house, bet any high full house, minimum raise Kings Full, reraise middling quads, cap with straight flush.

Bet any hand the moment you make it to extract maximum value. Small full houses should be bet from the round they are made but checked on the end. Quads or better can be slowplayed.

Never pass a pair (or two cards of the same rank on successive passes) or two straight flush cards.

crockpot
08-06-2003, 11:34 PM
i personally prefer this game when you roll the cards one at a time (although you need to curb the betting pre-roll). i think it provides a much nicer opportunity for bluffing than most limit games, especially when three or four cards are exposed.

Al Mirpuri
08-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Originallyi, we played the "roll'em" version but the way I described gained prominence once introduced to the game. We disliked the "roll'em' version because someone would have five betting rounds in which to bet his lock. Plus rolling slowed it all down.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-07-2003, 10:32 AM
My home game we play this with no betting during the pass phase, toss 2, then roll. High-low declare (6432A no flush nut low).

In this game, If I'm not looking for a low in the pass, I like middle cards, figuring I can get help from the passer whether or not he's looking for high or low.

crockpot
08-08-2003, 02:57 AM
what's the point of playing hi-lo split if you can't scoop the pot?

oh well, i guess it could be worse. anaconda hi-lo is actually an interesting game. the psychology of when to roll your highest card is curious.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-08-2003, 10:41 AM
Yeah, we play a couple of games that are impossible to scoop, like 5 card stud with a replace on the end hi-lo.