PDA

View Full Version : Last 3 with AK

Ross
08-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Final table NLHE down to the last 3 prize money 1st £1400 2nd £700 3rd £350. I'm 2nd place with 95,000 chipleader 105,00 3rd player 15,000. blinds are 1000 500.

The chip leader is a super aggressive player who will put pressure on the other players at the table with a constant stream of preflop raises. He only plays to win and is totally unconcerned about moving up another place on the ladder.

I am in the BB with the chipleader in the SB. The button folds and the SB raises to 4000. I have A/images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I come over the top with a 16,000 raise. He moves all-in.

Now what ?

Suggestions please

thanks

ross

tazshorts
08-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Knowing that the chipleader is super aggressive I would have just checked to see the flop.If I didn't catch an ace or king I would folded if he bet. AKs is just a drawing hand, and the blinds are only 1,000- 500. The 3rd player only has 15,000 and needs to make something happen, let him go all in against the chip leader.

sdplayerb
08-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Do you think he can make this move with AQ or AJ?
Do you think he believes you will back off easily?

If yes to those, I'd call.

Also how do you think you will fare with him when you get headsup? If you think he has the advantage, again I'd call.

JDErickson
08-06-2003, 09:44 PM
I was in the same exact situation twice in 1 night in tournaments.

I chose to call the all in.

1 I was beat by 77
2 I was beat by AA

Jim

Greg (FossilMan)
08-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Sucky spot to be in, but now that I'm there, I call. The only way it's going to be a mistake to call here is if this guy is super-aggressive UNTIL he's played back at, at which point he then plays a solid game. And there are lots of great players who are very much like this. Phil Ivey for example might make the first raise with anything, but if he rereraises you, he will seldom have a weak hand.

Against most super-aggressive players, I call here in a flash, and I will be a 2:1 or 3:1 favorite.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

nicky g
08-07-2003, 11:20 AM
You're probably ahead and calling is the probably the right play, but I don't think folding can be that wrong. You started with nearly 100x the big blind, will still have 75x the BB left, and are looking at a pretty big gap between 3rd and 2nd with a fairly short stacked player left (although he is buy no means in any immediate danger). If I was there I'd probably call almost automatically but if I stopped to think long enough about it, I'd fold. The problem with calling with AK is that though it is only in serious trouble to kk and aa, there aren't many hands it totally crushes, and you're risking a truly monster stack for this stage of a tournament here. I'd save making possibly marginal all-in calls for later when the blinds are bigger. Sorry for saying "probably" so much.