PDA

View Full Version : new to board -- hello all!

Scooterdoo
08-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Hi, folks. I've been lurking around here for a while and thought it was time to say hello. I have been playing poker in home games for years, but recently became interesting in hold'em from watching on TV and reading articles about novices who have learned the game from software, books and the internet. I understand poker theory fairly well so decided to really immerse myself into the game through books (I've read a few two-plus-two books already) and from the Wilson TTH software. I just started to play online in a few 5-10 games and have done pretty well -- two good winning sessions and one so-so losing session. I realize that the big challenge to get over is to be really patient with the pre-flop and not be too loose. It's easy to do with the simulation software since I can zip through 100 hands in a few minutes, but it's much harder when playing real games -- especially when you often see the cards you are holding and the mucked hand would have won. While I have been doing okay (it's too early to tell if I'm any good since I've only played about 250 hands), I realize I have a lot to learn. I have lots of questions, but I'll start by asking just a few:

- when playing online it seems very hard to make connections between names and playing tendencies since things happen so fast, plus you don't see the person's face. Any suggestions? I try to remember hands that stand out (either good or bad) and take notes.

- I'm trying Pokerstat which seems really good. Does anyone who uses it have any good tips -- what specifically to look for? Of course, I'm noticing the pre-flop% and have been able to make good use of the % of time a person wins or loses a showdown when they make bets or simply hold to the river.

- I haven't tried playing two hands at once yet, but it appears to be a good way to play more good hands per hour, assuming I can stay focused. Any thoughts?

- I'm ready for people to start trashing/critiquing some of my plays. I'll limit the hands for now to hands where I lost to see if I could have done better. I've attached one below.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to participating!

*** recent hand -- fyi, I can look at it now and realize a few possible stupid mistakes like the reraise preflop (I probably thought it was a steal attempt and I had a decent hand for the blind), but I'm curious if a good player should have known to avoid most of the bettng altogether. I notice that on these 5-10 games that I'll often win by semi-bluffing and get folks to fold even if I don't pull my hand, so that's one of the reasons for the semi-bluffing here. Also, I was aggresive since the winner wasn't re-raising early ***

Seat 5 is the button
Seat 1: AttackDog ($84.50 in chips)
Seat 2: joeblow ($205.50 in chips)
Seat 3: RobinHood2 ($220.00 in chips)
Seat 4: Kwtwa Kwtr ($532.00 in chips)
Seat 5: KGB55 ($142.00 in chips) (button)
Seat 6: scooter ($416.50 in chips) (sb)
Seat 7: _shakes_ ($285.00 in chips) (bb)
Seat 9: Maxfli_1 ($136.00 in chips)
scooter : Post Small Blind ($2.00)
_shakes_ : Post Big Blind ($5.00)
Dealt to scooter [ Ac ]
Dealt to scooter [ 7c ]
Maxfli_1 : Fold
AttackDog : Fold
joeblow : Raise ($10.00)
RobinHood2 : Fold
Kwtwa Kwtr : Fold
KGB55 : Fold (button)
scooter : Raise ($13.00) (sb)
_shakes_ : Fold (bb)
joeblow : Call ($5.00)
*** FLOP *** : [ Th 7d 3s ]
scooter : Bet ($5.00) (sb)
joeblow : Call ($5.00)
*** TURN *** : [ Th 7d 3s ] [ Td ]
scooter : Bet ($10.00) (sb)
joeblow : Raise ($20.00)
scooter : Call ($10.00) (sb)
*** RIVER *** : [ Th 7d 3s Td ] [ 9d ]
scooter : Check (sb)
joeblow : Bet ($10.00)
scooter : Call ($10.00) (sb)
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $102.00 | Rake: $3.00
Board: [ Th 7d 3s Td 9d ]
AttackDog didn't bet (folded)
joeblow bet $50.00, collected $102.00, net +$52.00 [ Ks Kh ] (two pair)
RobinHood2 didn't bet (folded)
Kwtwa Kwtr didn't bet (folded)
KGB55 didn't bet (folded)
scooter lost $50.00 [ Ac 7c ] (two pair)
_shakes_ lost $5.00 (folded)
Maxfli_1 didn't bet (folded)

Inthacup
08-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Welcome Scooter. Good to see you here. A few intro comments about posting hands: If you REALLY want good low limit advice on hand strategy, the Small Stakes forum is your best bet. If you're looking for good websites that are offering deposit bonuses, the Internet forum is a GREAT resource. Also, if you post in the small stakes forum, you might want to write a description of the hand as opposed to pasting the hand history. Hand histories aren't receive too well there.

As far as the hand goes: He's raising in MP in a 9 handed game. This is much different than raising on the button. IF I respect his MP raises, I'm folding here preflop, no problem. If you are going to play it, I think 3-betting is better than cold calling. Since he didn't cap, I certainly wouldn't put him on KK either. On the turn, unless this guy is tricky, I'd toss it right there. If he's bluff crazy, then there isn't too much wrong with the way you played it.

punkass
08-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Welcome. Get ready for some roasting...

Fold A7s to a raise in horrible position in full ring game. Period.

Yes, I wouldn't expect KK, but a whole lot beats you after the flop. Pocket pairs, a T....you have mid pair. Unless you catch a 7 or an A, you are donating money.

I think KK played a little slowly preflop, only to see if there was an A on the flop, and then maybe he might've released. If that is the case, you are a huge dog to KK, since he won't pay you off when you hit an A, and the only way you do get paid is if there's two 7s on board.

I think KK played fine after the flop (you would've actually seen me reraise you on the flop).

Fold your Axs in the blinds to a raise.

eMarkM
08-06-2003, 03:14 PM
First, put hands you want comments on in the Small Stakes forum. Two, don't post the actual hand history from the site. It irrates a lot of poeple. Post a summary instead. This forum is good for getting the scoop on the various sites, bonuses, where the fish are playing, etc. And, if you want to get into big flame wars, this is the place /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Use the online notes. Paradise, Party and Stars all have them.

Pokerstat is a fantastic program. There's some others I haven't tried, too. But any serious online player should have one of these analysis programs.

Many players play at least two games. Some more. Trick is, you want your screen resolution to such that you can see both games at once so you can follow the action.

I wouldn't be three betting Axs out of position, surprised he didn't cap it.

Scooterdoo
08-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the advise. Are you suggesting that I only ask for hand critiques in the low-limit forums? No problem, I'm just trying to understand the proper form!

Scooterdoo
08-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Thanks. Would you have called the bet or just folded? Looking back I was thinking I should have called the bet given that I was in the sb and had some good drawing possibilities -- I also hadn't gotten any action for a while (but I guess this is minor tilt, isn't it!).

My main question, actually, was once I got the flop I did, would you have bet it out like I did (if we would have raised my bet I probably would have folded) or should I have realized I was in trouble and no gone to the river showdown.

Scooterdoo
08-06-2003, 03:22 PM
thanks. Once I hit the flop, should I have known better to get out?

punkass
08-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Ok, so let's say you were "varying your play". That's the excuse my friends use when they play crap against me in my home game (I guess I use it too).

So, you see the flop, and you have mid pair on a rather raggedy board.

You bet out. I like betting rather than check-calling. And he just calls you. I'd be very scared. What would call you and be losing? 66? K7? I'd put him on a T about 50% and an over pair about 25%. Then I'd put him on overcards about 25%. I don't like winning 25%, and he still has outs if he does have overcards.

On the turn, I would've slowed and folded to a bet. You are now drawing dead to a T, and still losing to overpairs. I don't see a losing hand calling you enough for you to bet out.

If you didn't fold the turn, then don't fold the river. You should've seen the bet coming. I think places to fold were....preflop and the turn. If you were going to play the hand and the flop, then bet the flop, and call the river.

But you could've bypassed all this and folded preflop. Easier decisions when you play better hands.

Scooterdoo
08-06-2003, 03:44 PM
great advice. You mention a few things I didn't think of!

Inthacup
08-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Are you suggesting that I only ask for hand critiques in the low-limit forums?

I don't think that you have to post there, but I think you will get better answers there than here. There is very little poker strategy discussed in this forum and I just don't know how well your questions will be answered here.

I sent you a Private Message going over some more newbie 2+2/Internet forum info that will help you get more accolomated to the forum. Enjoy!

Cup

Bubmack
08-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Scooter - a few things.

Being a good home player is much easier than winning at online in the "long-run". Its good that you have read some literature...but I am surprised you would call the A,7 in the SB - the cash you have out there is sunk and irrelelvant - the key is would you call $12 to win $18 against a middle position rraiser. A normal middle position raiser would raise with 99-AA, AK - AT, KQ...maybe others depending on the table composition or looseness of player. Against every one of those hands you are a huge dog, except KQ, which you are a slight favorite. Basically, why put yourself in a spot of being a huge dog if all it means is letting the SB go.

Also, Playing two tables is very good technique when the tables are predictable, which allows you to play more "robotic" and when you are good enough to play well without much thinking. this is probably not where you are at this point. I would say your goal should be learning at this point. Treat it as an investment in time to make a nice profitable hobby down the line. I would even drop down in stakes a bit to face some easier competition during this learning process.

Bubs