PDA

View Full Version : Golf's Fourth Major SHOULD Be...

07-11-2002, 05:44 PM
...the Candian Open, IMO. HDPM gave a good analysis of the PGA down below. Why is it anymore special now than the Volvo Masters? Having three of the four majors in the US is ridiculous. The one thing tennis has over golf is four distinct majors.

I love match play, but Kevin Sutherland, Darren Clarke, Steve Stricker, & Jeff Maggert major champions? Nope, too much short term luck involved, like a LHE shootout.

At least they're playing the PGA on decent courses/conditions now. Major props to the Peege for adding Sahalee & Whispering Straits to the mix, but still, the best the PGA can ever be is US Open, Jr. The Players certainly 'played' like a major the years Duval & Sutton[2nd time] won it.

Like Tiger said, the CO is the 3rd oldest nat'l championship, and Sutton said it was a huge tourney in his younger days. Some years it's 'played' like a major, like the year Steve Jones won it.

Canada[or America, Jr., as an 18yo in my econ class calls it] has to be lousy with beautiful courses to make up a rotation. The last Du Maurier was played on a great one.

IMO Tiger's most amazing feat[so far] is what he did to the past. Nobody remembered Trevino's Triple Crown[CO, BO, USO] of '71, till Tiger did it in 2000. You can bet Tiger knew about it, though, which is likely why he entered. I'll bet Lee liked that $25K chk from the CO that showed up in his box after Tiger won, too!

07-11-2002, 08:30 PM
I got to play Whistling Straits last month. This course was a humbling experience. I can wait to watch the pros play in 2004. They has already started growing the rough. The grass was 2 feet high no more then 2 yards off the fairway. This will be a big test for the pros.

Randy

07-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Bill,

BTW, "America Jr." comes from Homer Simpson. Don't know if you saw it, but the U.S. Women's Open was played on a great course, Prarie Dunes. Love to see the men play that course under the conditions the women played in on Friday.

07-11-2002, 08:48 PM
I was there when Tiger hit that 7 Iron out of the bunker on 18.

What most people don't realize about that shot was the fact that it was so dark he could barely see the flag and it was pouring rain to boot. Amazing.