PDA

View Full Version : How to play big slick

MHunt
08-05-2003, 07:09 PM
I've always been pretty sure I was betting AK correctly,
but recently I have started to be not so sure.

Say, for example, you are under the gun, raise, and get,
say 3 callers, including BB. You miss the flop. Usually,
I would go ahead and bet for the following reasons :

1) You might get the pot here and now, even though it was
raised preflop (by you).
2) You will probably at least get rid of some of the
other players that missed.
3) You show strength, which may come in useful later for
a semi-bluff on the turn/river.
4) A, K could show on turn/river, and the bet will help
keep players in the pot.
5) You could still win with ace high.

You could however also argue just to check since you are
basically going for the pot odds anyway.

I am sure the play of AK has been discussed before, but
I am new to this forum, so please excuse me.

The example above was just that, an example. A general
discussion of AK, including preflop, would be great.

/MHunt

elysium
08-05-2003, 09:45 PM
hi m
from UTG after raising in and flopping rags, your AK may still be playable. if there are two flush cards on board, you should check-fold, unless of course you hold one of suit.

assuming that the flop rags no higher than J (a Q on board makes it very difficult to continue further), you should check-call from UTG and then check-raise the turn. you will have to use your good judgment here m. for example; if there is a solid opponent in the field, more than 3 opponents, three to a straight on board, or a weak calling station bets, etc. (many things to look out for in a poker game one), you can fold.

also, how you played previously factors in here. after raising in from UTG with ABC and flopping a big over-pair, you should sometimes check-call. this protects you when you have AK but flop rags. the idea is that if everything looks favorable, including opponent reaction, then check-call the flop and check-raise the turn.

the question you have now of course is whether it's ok to bet out when rags flop in this situation. i don't think so. but my reason is different from that you'll hear anywhere else; this is a complex situation, not one that can quickly be decided upon. you must take many factors into consideration before continuing further. if you're into it, you may want to take time to observe how your opponents react to the flop. if the bet comes from the button who is weak, and weak tights are positioned in the middle, you may want to try to pick up the pot right now with a flop check-raise; rare yes, but possible if conditions are perfect.

of course, after you have established an image of never betting out with AK when rags flop, you occasionally will have to do just that. but the thinking here should be to observe and if all looks ok, check-call the flop and check-raise the turn. if an A or K slides off, so much the better only, if an A slides off, tend to check-call if a more solid game is in progress while tending to check-raise if it looks like you can get heads up, especially if a more favorable K should slide off on the turn. an A may give a more solid group of opponents two pair.

so take time to consider your options, and simply check and observe. ponder the board and opposition, keeping the check-call on the flop and check-raising the turn strategy at the forefront, leaving a lot of room to improvise based on your assessment.

MHunt
08-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks elysium for your great response.

I almost have a headache now though, wow this is complicated stuff.
But isn't that what makes this such a great and interesting game ?

Not quite sure I understand why you would check, call the flop and then
check raise on the turn. It somehow sounds right though, and
you obviously know more about this than me. I guess it is because
a check raise semi bluff on the turn is more efficient than a bet
or check raise on the flop, in particular if you have a table
image of often check raising big pairs. Does this sound right to
you, or have I misunderstood something ?

Thanks again,
MHunt