PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban on Kobe

ChipWrecked
08-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is being taken to the nation's woodshed over the remark he made to Pat O'Brien that the Kobe Bryant case was "good for the NBA from a business standpoint". He later told NBC that it's unfortunate but notoriety is good for media exposure, and "that's the bottom line reality".

I suppose it was crass of him to say it, but in my opinion he's right. NBA prospects are being advised not to get their degrees because it would hurt their 'street cred'. Who's sicker, Cuban for stating the truth, or the society that makes it true?

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-05-2003, 04:12 PM
On who's sicker, flip a coin.

On the point of not getting degrees for "street cred", street cred be damned, not getting the degree makes financial sense. Why risk injury playing in college when you can get the money *now*? You can always go back and get the degree if that's what you want.

ChipWrecked
08-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Sorry, wasn't clear. My point is these guys are being told (by shoe mfg's in particular) not to get degrees at all, offseason or whenever. It's the fact of having a degree that hurts, nothing to do with going for the draft early.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-05-2003, 04:33 PM
The reckoning is already on its way. Most scouts are beginning to realize that the kids coming out of the European system have superior playing skills to the highlight-film-happy American kids who've probably never had to do a footwork drill in their lives.

Jason Pohl
08-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Cuban is not out of line, although I'm not sure he's correct on this one.

His point is not exactly novel though; 'any press is good press;. Also, Cuban is widely regarded as a marketing genius...so he has the expertise to express his views on how the NBA will be affected.

--Jason