PDA

View Full Version : Top Two but flush on board?

Blue Sky
08-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Tight Aggressive game with mostly solid players with the exception that I have no read on the blind who is in first hand at the table.

I have KcJs in LP and limp in along with 5 others. The Blind checks the option.

The flop comes 3 K 7 all spades. Its checked around to me and I bet out looking for info. Either my bet will win the pot or I will get checkraised and know to fold. The bet is called by 3 others, no raises?

Turn is a Jc. Checked to me and I bet my top two figuring that no one would of slowrolled a flopped flush twice, and they only called looking for the 4th spade to make their flush, so I'm going to make them pay for the draw. They all call.

River is a 8d. No 4th spade for the draws. Checked to me and I bet. Only caller is the blind.

I show my top two and he shows the flopped flush with the 24s. He takes down the pot, and while stacking the chips mentions that he never felt that he could bet because his flush was so low. I thought he played it very bad because he left a few people in, myself included, for the larger flush draw.

What do you think of my play and what do you think of the blinds play? All comments appreciated.

Homer
08-05-2003, 03:52 PM
You played it fine and the blind played it poorly. He should have bet or raised at some point trying to protect his vulnerable hand.

-- Homer

Tosh
08-05-2003, 03:59 PM
A flush like that has to be played FAST. If a 4th spade had fallen his hand would be completely worthless.

asdf1234
08-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Looks good to me, the tiny flush played very poorly and gave other lone spades lots of cheap cards. Your bet on the flop is also to protect your hand (although spades are certainly getting proper odds to draw). Non-nut hands on monotone flops need to be played very fast because one more of that suit makes your hand completely worthless.

Bob T.
08-05-2003, 04:35 PM
I would have played your hand the same way you did, and I agree with your assessment of his play.

Aces McGee
08-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Blind played badly. You played well.

But...

Turn is a Jc. Checked to me and I bet my top two figuring that no one would of slowrolled a flopped flush twice, and they only called looking for the 4th spade to make their flush, so I'm going to make them pay for the draw. They all call.

If they think someone will bet their flush for them on fourth street, so they can checkraise and get an extra bet in, then they will slowplay that flush again and check the turn. Your bet on the flop, with no flush card on the turn, tells them that you will bet it.

Not saying you shouldn't have played it the way you did, just to be careful of your thinking.

Aces McGee

anatta
08-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Well played. I wouldn't fold this hand to a flop check-raise. Your top pair with Js kicker has some value, I would just call down.