PDA

View Full Version : Do I call or raise on the river?

Yeknom58
08-05-2003, 02:28 PM
Online 1-2

I have JTh in the BB. 3 callers the SB calls and I check

Flop: [Ah 7h 4s]

SB checks, I bet, everyone calls.

Turn: 6d

SB checks, I bet, 2 folds, button and SB calls.

River: 8h

Here is where my problems comes. THE SB leads out the betting! I figured he was on some kind of draw by check calling but what draw could he have but hearts. Maybe 5-6 would stick around to make a straight but really what is he betting into me with? I thought for sure he was on hearts, possible bigger than my jack so i just called and the other person called too.

My hand was good but man was I confused. SB showed 5-7 for the straight, and the other guy showed A-10.

So you play this any different? Please explain why I should raise or call on the end. I think I just sort of froze up and figured he had to have been on hearts. The hand reading faries strike again.

2planka
08-05-2003, 02:42 PM
What kind of odds were you getting? What type of players were you up against? Raising would have got you one more bet, of course, but you were probably right to go with your gut. Just be careful of playing scared. I think you made the right play for this particular hand. Could you have raised to find out? Maybe. Chances are the straight would have come back over the top... then what do you do? In a 1-2 game maybe the guy just didn't see the made flush on the board... who knows. Next time you're up against him it's probably worth a raise in a similar situation. My two chips, anyway.

2planka
08-05-2003, 02:51 PM
Answered my own question... looks like it was a fairly small take. You made the right call, given your reservations. Use the info to your advantage next time.+