PDA

View Full Version : Bet and raise this monster all the way?

Girchuck
08-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Paradise $2-$4
Holding JJ in CO
agressive EP raises, folds to me, I re-raise, unknown button calls three, calling station BB calls. EP raiser caps, all call. 4 to the flop

flop:

5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, EP bets, I raise, button folds, BB calls two, EP re-raises, I cap, BB calls, EP calls.
three to the turn of

8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif)

BB checks, EP bets, now I only call(?) because I no longer am worried about BB hitting his flush draw, BB calls.

river is
4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif)
BB checks, EP bets, I raise, BB folds, and EP calls, my hand is good.

Is smooth calling the turn a mistake?

Nottom
08-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Raise the turn, if BB is indeed on a flush (or 9T for the straight) draw he will pay you here but not on the river. Besides, EP may be silly enough to not realize his over pair is no good and 3-bet you allowing you to cap, something I'm sure you won't be able to pull off on the river.

Aces McGee
08-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Let's assume, since you do, that the BB is on a diamond draw. By not raising the turn, you're giving the BB an awful lot of credit, assuming that he'll put you on your full house if you do. If he's a good player, that may be right. But against an average online LL player, he's either not paying attention to what you've got and is only concerned about making his diamond flush, or he's put you on an overpair since you 3-bet preflop. He's probably going to call any bets on the turn for his flush, whether it's correct to or not. Make him do it.

If the flush comes on the river, he'll most likely bet and raise at every opportunity, and you'll take him for a huge sum. If it doesn't, he'll fold anyway.

Again, if the opponent is a particularly good player, then this might change your strategy. But I can only assume that he isn't, so I say raise the turn.

Aces McGee

JTG51
08-05-2003, 01:13 PM

Yes. What could be better than a chance to collect 2 bets from a player who is drawing dead? A flush draw will almost never fold to your raise on the turn.

Other than that, you played it beautifully.

Bob T.
08-05-2003, 01:32 PM

Yes, if he misses his flush draw, then you won't be able to charge him on the river. If he hits it, you might get the pleasure of charging him to get there, and then charging him again after he does.

Girchuck
08-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Thanks for your replies, everyone.
The unanimous opinion is to bet and raise with nut/second nut every chance I got. I am learning.

Homer
08-05-2003, 02:29 PM
BB checks, EP bets, now I only call(?) because I no longer am worried about BB hitting his flush draw, BB calls.

Yes, just because you are no longer worried about the BB making his flush doesn't mean that you shouldn't charge him the maximum to do so. I know of very few players -- actually none other than 2+2'ers -- who will fold the turn for two bets with a four-flush on a paired board.

-- Homer

asdf1234
08-05-2003, 04:51 PM
You threw away at least three bets by just calling. The BB is going to call two cold again (he did twice on the flop), even though he's completely dead. Maybe EP will reraise and you'll get to cap it.

Mike
08-05-2003, 06:23 PM
I do a quick 'what do I think' check at the turn. Will they all call a raise on the turn and a bet on the river? If so, then a raise is in order. If some will not call the turn raise and more fold the river, how many will drop? I guess I look at it differently - which option gets more chips in my pot.

Ed Miller
08-05-2003, 10:18 PM
I didn't look at the hand at all, but my answer to the question in your title is yes.