> I believe most players cannot easily remember all the cards in
> seven-stud. Period. Whether or not most of them can eventually be
> trained to is arguable. None of this is the point, as far as I'm
> concerned.
>
> If you remembered everything, it would be the same as if I laid out
> all the exposed cards in front of you. Surely, this would help, and
> sometimes it would help a great deal, even occasionally proving that
> you had the nuts when you MIGHT not otherwise have recognized it.
>
> But what is memorizing all the cards really worth when weighed against
> just trying to track key cards? If you're playing every hand like
> tournament chess, where you can take a long time to decide, then there
> may be a significant advantage to remembering all the cards. But in a
> fast-paced game like real-life seven-stud, it may actually be a
> disadvantage!
>
> Huh? Yep, I meant what I said, and that's what I've always taught. The
> reason is that beyond the basic VERY important elements of observing
> cards, stretching this discipline will usually waste mental energy in
> pursuit of small gains -- energy that could much better be used on
> more profitable aspects of poker, such as looking for tells and subtly
> manipulating your opponents.
>
> I believe hold 'em is a game of HIGH cards, but seven-stud is a game
> of LIVE cards. So you need to always try to see how exposed cards
> affect your hand and your opponents' hands at the moment. Beyond that,
> memorizing cards may come in handy later in the hand or may not, but
> the value is marginal and can, for most players, become a burdensome,
> counterproductive exercise.
>
> But then, I might be wrong about this. Of course, there might not have
> been a lunar eclipse tonight, either.
>
> Straight Flushes,
> Mike Caro

Ray Zee
08-05-2003, 12:55 PM
it adds up to a few extra bets a day you make. times 300 days a year, times 30 years equals 9000 bets. much more than most players ever get to accumuate because of little so called leaks.

of course if you play real small or very little you may only be giving up 50,000 dollars or so. chump change.

mostsmooth
08-06-2003, 09:40 PM
wouldnt a few extra bets a day (3) times 300 days times 30 years equal more like 27,000? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ray Zee
08-06-2003, 10:04 PM
yea it would be 9000 bets times the amount of extra bets per day. i guess as usual i wasnt quite clear. in any casr the premise is clear, i hope.

crockpot
08-06-2003, 10:25 PM
when i play online, i create a small 4x13 excel window with one cell for each card, then program a button on my mouse to highlight the dead cards. i'd prefer to use VB or something to create a separate button window that's easier to use, but i'm not skilled enough with the program. can anyone here help me out, or has anyone made a program like this themselves?

alternatively, if you don't mind slowing the game down a little, you can play on ub and check the hand history whenever you need to make a decision based on how live your cards are.

7stud
08-07-2003, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when i play online, i create a small 4x13 excel window with one cell for each card, <font color="red"> then program a button on my mouse to highlight the dead cards. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

How does that work exactly?

Tosh
08-07-2003, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when i play online, i create a small 4x13 excel window with one cell for each card, then program a button on my mouse to highlight the dead cards. i'd prefer to use VB or something to create a separate button window that's easier to use, but i'm not skilled enough with the program. can anyone here help me out, or has anyone made a program like this themselves?

alternatively, if you don't mind slowing the game down a little, you can play on ub and check the hand history whenever you need to make a decision based on how live your cards are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you did a simple program with 52 buttons on and programmed each one to change colour when clicked so you can easily see which have been played. Then just a button to reset it after each hand.

7stud
08-07-2003, 07:26 PM
I created a mini 4x13 excel window--no tool bar, scroll bars, sheet tabs, etc--and then programmed my mouse so a right click typed in an X, so all I had to do was select the proper cell with a left click, and then right click to check it. Then I went to PS to try it out as I watched a game, but trying to keep track of cards manually is just way too slow--it's not helpful in my opinion.

SittingBull
08-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Since ur expanding energy when U concentrate more,U will need to play shorter sessions than normal if U attempt to track all cards. But if U do not concentrate on keeping track of all cards,u will be able to play a longer session.
Hence,it appears as if your overall profit will not suffer
when U decide to NOT do too much concentrating and playing longer sessions.
I'm assuming that u are playing with the same players for the same # of Hrs.
But , as some posters have stated,any leak in your game CAN mushroom into BIG errors--so call compounding errors.
HappyPokering, /images/graemlins/smile.gif
SittingBull

7stud
08-08-2003, 01:23 AM
"Since ur expanding energy when U concentrate more,U will need to play shorter sessions"

When I tried to record the cards that were seen, it proved to me I would never be "playing" in any real sense--even for shorter sessions. It took all my attention to try and record the cards that I could see before they disappeared, so it seemed impossible to me that I would actually be able to play poker while recording the cards.

crockpot
08-08-2003, 03:01 AM
yeah, this is kind of an esoteric idea. if you're on a poker server where your cards are dealt instantly and the others are still getting theirs in animated deal mode, you generally have enough time to catch most if not all of the cards, if you're trained in using the program. of course, this really reduces your fun level while playing, which contributed to me not using it anymore.

Gitz
08-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Someone who posts here once in a while when he isn't in his mushroom outhouse half-moon cellar told me to watch and remember them as they come off the deck. This took me about 6 months to a year to really learn but the confidence that grew from remembering the cards and playing my cards more efficiently helped immensly.

rcp

SittingBull
08-09-2003, 05:27 PM
to remember MOST of the cards if U expect to continue to be successful. Any other skill is of SECONDARY nature. Stud IS a game of LIVE cards and BIG kickers. Hence,U will NEED to know MOST of the cards that have been folded in order to make intelligent decisions. Otherwise,u will be cremated.
HappyPokering, /images/graemlins/smile.gif
SittingBull

Mr. Peterson
08-14-2003, 09:09 PM
There is a card grid that automatically marks off dead cards at a ginrummy site i play at. I am trying to adapt it as a plugin for the poker sites but it is a bit beyond my programming skills at present.

As for manually marking them off on excel i find it much easier to just remember the cards. It's not hard if you use a decent system.

7stud
08-15-2003, 01:10 AM
I am trying to adapt it as a plugin for the poker sites

I dont' think that's the way it works. In fact, I don't think it's possible. You basically have one application running in your window with all kinds of security to keep anyone from hacking it, and then you have to program an application that somehow reads the poker application. Unless the poker application allows you to access its document/view structure(Windows systems), I just don't think you can read what the application is displaying.

There is a card grid that automatically marks off dead cards at a ginrummy site i play at.

Is that a third party application, or(as is my guess) is it part of the ginrummy site?

Andy B
08-15-2003, 01:51 AM
Would you care to share your "decent system"?

/images/graemlins/smile.gif