PDA

View Full Version : Ace Rag UTG

ChristianM
08-05-2003, 04:38 AM
In a loose--but not loose to an extreme--- aggressive 5 handed game, what Aces will have value UTG and UTG + 1 to be played? Should all aces be played? Is there a good guideline to muck most aces below A7 or A8? I find that I tend to lose a lot or often win a little with ace little in early position of shorthanded games. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

ZeeJustin
08-05-2003, 06:20 AM
I'm no shorthanded expert, but I've been averaging over 6 BB / hr at Party's 1/2 6 max tables by playing fairly tight. UTG I'll fold A7s and A9o.

Ikke
08-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Often, when you raise UTG, people will figure you for an ace anyway. So, you'll often be able to pick up the pot when an ace flops. So, play less ace rags and more hands like JT etc. When people catch up, adapt.

Regards

stripsqueez
08-05-2003, 08:11 PM
i play in the sort of games you refer to most of the time

i bin all Ax before the blinds - except - some of the time i raise with A9 and very rarely A8 if no-one has played before me and i can steal the blinds but more often i bin them too - no runners on the button as long as the blinds arent very loose pre-flop i will raise with any A most of the time

its a crime to limp with Ax in my view and its also a crime (an often perpetrated crime in my observation) to raise with Ax UTG or UTG+1

i do sometimes limp with Ax suited if there are players before me but i sometimes raise and sometimes fold depending on the school and other factors

hope that helps

philnewall
08-08-2003, 02:28 PM
If you are HU play a rag ace if you think that your kicker might be bigger than your opponents lowest card. Of course, this means that which aces you will be playing will depend on your opponent.

At a table with 5-6 players I would not play a2-5 utg but i would in late position, or in the sb if it is unraised. The bigger aces I would play in any position, but of course, it does depend on your opponents.