PDA

View Full Version : Check-Raise on River as a bluff, Good idea?

cardsharkdave
08-05-2003, 03:03 AM
Imagine playing in a game full of call stations. I'm wondering if you think Check-raising on the river to bluff is a good idea.

Your feedback would be very usefull.

Michael Davis
08-05-2003, 03:09 AM
No.

You are playing against calling stations. You have a better chance of making this play work against either a solid pro, if your play is consistent with some hand it is possible for you to have, or a slightly weaker but observant who would consider folding to a river checkraise.

This play is poor against calling stations.

-Mike

onegymrat
08-05-2003, 04:00 AM
Calling stations do what they do best, call. They definitely will see your raise for one more bet. Save the tricky stuff for hands with one or two opponents only, who are definitely not calling stations. Good luck.

ZeeJustin
08-05-2003, 04:12 AM
I agree with the responses so for. Also, calling stations are less likely to bet, so your check raise attempt won't be successful as much.

ResidentParanoid
08-05-2003, 09:18 AM
No.

Mike
08-05-2003, 12:33 PM
You don't normally want to checkraise a calling station. This play should be saved for more agressive players.

Aces McGee
08-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Bluffing on the river against calling stations is a bad idea in general. They're calling stations. They're going to call.

But -- while I think bluffing a calling station on the river is -EV in general -- I think that bluff checkraising is a little better. Still way -EV, but a little better. Why? Because it will often get checked around, and you won't lose any bets on the river.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aces McGee

HUSKER'66
08-05-2003, 01:25 PM
NO /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bob T.
08-05-2003, 01:28 PM
No, they will just call again.

asdf1234
08-05-2003, 03:59 PM
As almost everybody has said, this is an awful idea, particularly against calling stations since they're not laying down for one more bet. This type of play is best saved for players you know very well and are good players, capable of laying down hands on the river to a checkraise. Even most typical to decent players will look you up for one more bet, especially if the pot is reasonably sized.

Mike
08-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Calling stations are your ATM's! Why would you want to checkraise them?

From what I remember from Dr. Schoonmakers excellent book, checkraising is perceived by many calling stations as not -honest - poker, they will take it personally, get mad and leave.

Then your calling station is usually replaced by a tougher opponent. I have usually found this to be the case. If you must checkraise calling stations make sure there is more than one or two. I have found his advice right on when I tested his thinking.

**** Blatant Plug - Dr. Schoonmakers book has a lot of good advice about different types of players. You may want to check it out.****

Al Schoonmaker
09-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Mike,
Thanks for your kind words about my book. I apologize for not thanking you sooner, but I was not aware of your post.
Regards,
Al

Losing all
09-03-2003, 09:37 PM
If you happen to have check-raised a few big hands recently I think it's a solid bluff. unless the bettor is a total jag, or you put him on a good hand.