PDA

View Full Version : A hand my opponent scorned me for, I think.

rkiray
08-05-2003, 12:11 AM
Fairly typical Paradise 3/6 game. 35% seeing the flop. Actually there are no really aggresive players at this table and a couple of complete calling stations. But no total morons betting/raising everything or playing randomly. I was totally dominating this table, up over $200 in 1.5 hours. Only one other person ahead. Several down significantly. A new player who is fairly good but weak tight according to my database sits down (oh good, another one). (uh oh, he left and DavidRoss and JTrout just sat down). He had only been there a couple of hands, when on the river I hit a gut shot (I also had two overcards) for the nuts. I was first to act and check planning to check raise. No one bet. New player said nh. I replied would have been better if someone bet. I outsmarted myself. He replied "I don't think smart is the right word. LOL." I replied true. So I figure he is the kind of person who says nh, when he believes a fish made a moron play.

OK here is the hand.

I'm in big blind with 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

New player (NP) is UTG and calls. UTG+1 calls. Folded to button who calls. SB folds, BB checks.

Flop : 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I decide to bet my middle pair, gut shot and backdoor flush draw. Especially since I have been dominating the table I thought it is a good bet. Call, call, button raises, everyone calls.

Turn : 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

OK now I have oesd, small flush draw and a pair, but someone could have a flush. I check NP bets, folded to me, I call.

River : 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif [6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

OK now I have trips, but I don't like the board. Check, bet, call. Results below but I'll leave a little space because I know some people like that.

NP had A9o for two pair. My three of a kind won. Afterwards he said nh again and I mentioned that I thought his bet was a bit bold on a scary board and he replied that he thought my call outdid it. He left shortly after. I have a correction. The hand history shows David had already sat down. I hadn't noticed him yet. Comments?

davidross
08-05-2003, 08:50 PM
I think you played it just fine. I like the bet on the flop in some games, other times I will wait and see where the action is. When NP bets the turn I would be fairly certain he has an A or the flush. Most people don't bet into raisers on the turn on the come. SO if you don't improve you can safely muck on the river. Now you hit the river. SO you're ahead of an A, but still behind the flush. I think the check/call is quite acceptable. If you bet you'd be very happy with just a call, so this is the same result. If you check-raise, I think you have to be prepared to fold to a 3 bet. Are you? I do like to bet these rivers. Unless he has the nuts you don't usually have to fear a raise, and you don't risk missing the last bet.