PDA

View Full Version : an empirical effect of gm crops

brad
08-04-2003, 11:28 PM
should be easy to look up on google.

anyway seems bees died out or something or wouldnt pollinate or something it was looked into and was found that genetic material from crops (which bees pollinate or something) had crossed species into the bees (like maybe the original gene was a fly gene or something) and had screwed the bees up.

look it up.

p.s. monsanto is following plot of 'omen' movie you know with damon being son of devil and stuff. (his uncle owned large agro corp. ) look it up /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MMMMMM
08-05-2003, 12:18 AM
I think eating pesticides is a Bad Omen.

brad
08-05-2003, 12:49 AM
then get organic/expensive.

gm crops heavily sprayed. lookup 'roundup ready'

MMMMMM
08-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Well here's what looked to be the best link I found so far (quickly):

From University of Nebraska, Lincoln:

"Our goal is to be a definitive source of scientific, regulatory and educational materials relevant to crop biotechnology and the current debate on the genetic modification of food."

I haven't read through it yet so I'll definitely learn something too/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://agbiosafety.unl.edu/

nicky g
08-05-2003, 05:57 AM
M,

I wouldn't be too confident about the impartiality of that link. On the About Us page, they acknowledge that:

"This Web site has been financially supported through a competitive grant awarded by the Council for Biotechnology Information"

Go to the CBI website, and you'll discover that "Its members are the leading biotechnology companies and trade associations." Somehow I doubt they're paying for anything other than pro-GM info to be disseminated.

adios
08-05-2003, 06:51 AM
Personally I switched to organic nearly exclusively (only when I eat out which is less and less) about six months ago. My wife, who is a biologist, convinced me to go ahead and pay the extra bucks and I do mean extra bucks.

Ray Zee
08-05-2003, 09:56 AM
people dont differeniate from genetically modifying and cross pollinating. with gm, they insert genes from some other entity. it could be pig genes or skunk dna. now they are working on making plants roundup resistant. this foliage killer is very toxic but breaks down fast in nature. so they want to be able to spray it on our food source so they can kill weeds around it. so by modifying the genes of say corn to be immune from roundup they can spray it all over the corn and then feed it to us. the monarch buttiflies are having a bad time as much corn already has been gm and the genes from it has messed up the milkweed plants that the buttiflies rely on, as that is their only source of food. we dont have a food shortage. it is only a money thing for the chemical companies. plus gm stuff spreads to other plants and food crops. what may happen only monsanto knows maybe and would certainly tell us even if it bankrupts them:)
currently they are also planting trees in our forests that have been gm so they can produce more wood and be resistent to certain bugs. thats the forests of our future which many dont care about anyway. what all this will do to our bodies we dont know. so why the rush to do it. it is not about feeding the worlds hungry. its all about making more short term money for the chemical companies.