PDA

View Full Version : Is it just bad luck?

Stinky
08-04-2003, 02:58 PM
I have been playing tournaments at Pokerstars lately. I have been knocked out by the following hands and would like to know if it's bad luck or normal.

I had KK in SB and raise 2 limpers all in. Only caller equals AA. I lose.
Next tourney. All in with KK. Only caller AA. I lose.
Next Tourney. All in with KK. Only caller AA. I lose.
Next Tourney. All in with KK. Only caller AKo I lose.
Next Tourney. All in with AA. Only caller 94o I lose. (q-9-9 for a flop)
Next tourney All in with KK. Only caller AJs I lose.

Granted the players and situations vary, but shouldn't I win a couple?

Copernicus
08-04-2003, 03:33 PM
If these were early in the tourneys and you were forcing the all-ins, then bad luck or otherwise, it is bad strategy. When you are going all in to pick up blinds or blinds + a little, you are only going to be facing the best hands, and you will lose to many to justify the small gains.

As far as the results go, I would invest in hypnosis and see if you weren't somebody awful in a prior life, because (unless there are some winning KKs you arent reporting) that run is the worst Ive ever seen.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-04-2003, 03:34 PM
Patience, Grasshopper. You'll win your share.

Stinky
08-04-2003, 03:53 PM
I did have a KK that everyone folded and I picked up the blinds.

CrackerZack
08-04-2003, 04:11 PM
I'm sure you forget to mention the

Had KK, raise, everyone folded on the turn
Had AA, raise, everyone folds on the flop
had QQ, raise, everyone folds on the river.

Selective memory.

Nottom
08-04-2003, 04:47 PM
or better yet...
I have AA go all-in 2 people call and I win and triple up
Some guy goes all-in I call with KK and I win

also, you didn't say how these hands went (the AA ones can be hard to avoid) but if you are going all-in with KK when the blinds are 10/20, I wouldn't like my chances whe I get called.

2planka
08-05-2003, 08:45 AM
I find online tourney players largely take a hit or quit approach. They'd rather pop out early than play patiently since there's always another tourney at the top of the hour.

Though not in tourney play, I was asking the same question last night at a different site. After a monster week (punctuated by a $2000 plus weekend at low limits - the fish were biting) I settled in at 3 5-10 tables. Two were very tight and one was an asylum. I eventually backed out of the tight tables because the maniacs were paying off so well.

Perhaps the lunatics just stopped believing my raises or maybe I was being overly aggressive, but I proceeded to get sucked out on five hands in a row that I played. Lost big pots to chasers. I was only seeing 18% of the flops (including free play blinds) and up to this point I was taking down roughly 75% of the pots I was in (it was a nice game up to this point).

The first of the five hands I had pocket AA and lost to a J5 suckout runner-runner. I three bet preflop and had two callers, checkraised turn.

Also lost AKs with a four flush flop to 8-4o. Lost trip 7's to a flush (I folded my set at the turn, 3 players still in, one had the nuts, four clubs on the board). Last one was pocket Jacks popped by trip deuces (set made on river).

Granted, the boards didn't help me and they helped my opponents, but you'd think one of these hands would stand up for a few chips - especially with me three betting before the flop.

I tried loosening up but then the cards went cold for the next hour. Took down one decent pot when my button A-10 suited flopped a flush (two players chased to the river).

Took one last beat on AA and quit for the night. One positive is that I got some good notes on the opposition. It was a rollercoaster night. Finished down about $250.