PDA

View Full Version : 2 River Play Questions

CMP
08-04-2003, 09:50 AM
2 river scenarios for you...

Game is $1-3 any time, 2 blinds of 1 and 1.

1) Loose raiser raises $1 in EP to $2. So far, a raise for less than the full amount seemdd to be a gambling-type raise -- quality hand raises were typically the full $4 total. Many others call, I call w/KQo in LP. Flop is K-Q-Q.....bing.

Pre-flop raiser bets, I call, assorted callers.

Turn is a J, making the board K-Q-Q-J. Raiser bets, I call, all else fold, heads up for the river brick.

He bets, I finally raise, he re-raises, I put in the 4th bet, he shows his buddy his cards and says, "heads up, we can go unlimited raises, right?" Buddy nods and opponent puts in the 5th bet. I just call.

2) A different ridiculoose player raises from EP, about 5 total callers, I call w/ 66 on the button. Blinds fold.

Flop is Ac-Kc-6. He bets out and it's folded around to me. I raise, he re-raises, I put in the 4th, and he just calls. Turn is a non-straight club. Check, I bet, he calls. River is a non-straight club. He checks.

I don't have a club.

Do you check behind?
Bet and call a raise?

Folding can't be right here heads up...

Thanks in advance, results later...

CMP

CrackerZack
08-04-2003, 10:09 AM
1) raise the flop, raise the turn.

2) I'd check behind as in these games I see lots of people try to C/R the end even on obvious boards and no one will fold a tiny club.

Aces McGee
08-04-2003, 10:18 AM
1) The whole reason you slow played your full house is, I assume, to get as many bets as you could out of him on the river. He appears willing to give you as many as you want to take, so why slow down if you've got exactly what you wanted? I'm not sure how many bets it would take for me to fear KK, but I'd probably go a little further.

2) This is probably one of the those situations where any hand you can beat isn't going to call a bet, and I don't think you can get a small club to fold. Unless your opponent is the kind of player who HAS to show down once he gets to the river, I'd check behind also.

Aces McGee

CMP
08-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the commentary so far -- additional replies welcome.

1) I slow played to the river to tie on chasers with straight draws, aces playing one overcard, etc., and it worked -- they were all in there, there were lots of callers on the flop and the turn. Only after my river-raise was it heads up. The combination of the pre-flop raise, and the commentary with the friend slowed me down. I just called the 5th bet, and he flipped up QJo for the smaller boat. Oh man.

2) I checked behind. He asked "you have an Ace," and I knew my hand was good. He had some BS -- K9o for second pair no kicker, and no club. My set was good.

CMP

Aces McGee
08-04-2003, 01:22 PM
For what it's worth, your original post stated that everyone else folded to a bet on the turn from your opponent and a call by you.

Aces McGee

CMP
08-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Good catch -- the original is wrong, though. I tried to edit, but it said time had expired.

So, the last person between us folded when I raised the river.

:-)

CMP

Dynasty
08-04-2003, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) I slow played to the river to tie on chasers with straight draws

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time, tie them on for two bets on the flop and two bets on the turn. You'll be surprised how often they call.