PDA

View Full Version : Unusual flop action from my opponents - put them on a range of hands.

JTG51
08-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Foxwoods 5/10. Fairly typical game, pretty loose and passive.

UTG, a weak but unpredictable player, limps. I raise from the CO with A /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Button folds, BB, an unknown player, calls. Three of us see the flop.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB bets, UTG calls, I raise. Now it gets a little strange. BB just calls. UTG 3-bets, I call, BB says, "OK, I'll cap it" and does.

What range of hands do you put both opponents on?

Ulysses
08-03-2003, 06:57 PM
BB - I would put him on either a set (most likely of sixes) or a flush draw (maybe w/ a straight draw as well like QhTh).

UTG - Same range of hands as BB, but I think a flush draw is less likely. He also might have just a decent Ace or two pair.

JohnShaft
08-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Putting BB on a Heart flush draw for sure. Maybe with a gutshot. Say KT/images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG, as he's unpredictable it's sorta tricky. Is he loose?
If he ain't that loose then it looks like he intended to slowplay 'til the turn before it got 3 bet.
That would put him on something like maybe AJ or A6 or maybe even as much as a flopped set of sixes.
But hell, I don't know, if he's unpredictable he could have anything /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I expect the action on the turn to go, check, bet (if no heart hits).
If it does, you probably aren't good. If they both check, you probably are still good.

JTG51
08-03-2003, 07:05 PM
The relative likeliness of a big hand vs a flush draw was the main reason I posted this one.

The call-raise move on the flop always seems to be one or the other. I usually have a hard time deciding which one, which can obviously lead to big mistakes later in the hand.

JTG51
08-03-2003, 07:07 PM
UTG, as he's unpredictable it's sorta tricky. Is he loose?

Yes, UTG was quite loose.

Dynasty
08-03-2003, 07:21 PM
One thing I'm fairly sure of is that if I don't get an Ace, Seven, or club on the turn, I'm folding to a bet.

davidross
08-03-2003, 07:44 PM
I'm going to ignore the "unpredictable" designation for now, because by definition we can't predict what he has. In a normal game I would say (with a high degree of confidence actually) that UTG has a set, 66 most likely but AA or JJ possible. I think BB has the flush draw. MOst people like to wait for the turn with flopped sets, but once he has both of you in for 2 bets it's a good time to raise. The BB has both of you in for 3 bets and is getting correct odds to keep pumping it (actually probably not if the set is out there because some of his flush outs are no good, but usually they don't think of that).

Joe Tall
08-03-2003, 07:54 PM
UTG has A6o for 2-pair.

BB has the K /images/graemlins/heart.gif flush draw.

Mike Gallo
08-03-2003, 08:08 PM
UTG, a weak but unpredictable player, limps. BB bets, UTG calls, I raise. Now it gets a little strange. BB just calls. UTG 3-bets, UTG three bets and you described him as weak? When a weak player makes a play like that, I tend to hear alarms going off in my head. I would seriously consider he holds JJ, 66, or AJ and the big blind has a flush draw or a straight draw.

Even if you hit a seven or an ace on the turn, you could finish second best.

JTG51
08-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Sorry it took so long for the results, I almost forgot about this one.

The only card I was going to be happy with on the turn was a non pairing club, and that's exactly what I got.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB bet, UTG called, I called.

River: A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checked, UTG bet, I folded, BB called.

When BB checked, I thought it confirmed the big heart draw that a lot of people guessed. In fact, he had A6 for top and bottom pair on the flop. UTG had AJ to scoop.

Thanks for the thoughts.

SoBeDude
08-04-2003, 12:26 PM
When a weak player makes a play like that, I tend to hear alarms going off in my head.

Its been my experience when a weak player makes a play like that he's on the flush draw.

-Scott