PDA

View Full Version : Double check raise?

rkiray
08-03-2003, 04:43 PM
This is the same table as my last post, but unfortunately it has totally changed. This seems to happen much more on-line than in B&M. The morons have all lost their money and have been replaced by sharks. The great table an hour ago that had 48% seeing the flop is now really tight (23% seeing the flop). It's amazing how good the sharks are at finding the weak tables. The problem is there are just too many sharks at Paradise. I have my name on the list for 3 other tables but I'm temporalily stuck here.

One EP limper, folded to me on button with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif
I raise, sb folds, BB and limper call.

flop : 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I like this. I have top pair and decent backdoor flush draw. Doesn't appear to be a dangerous flop. Checked to me, bet, raise, raise, call, call. So much for that analysis. Check raised by two different players on the same hand. Can't really remember that happening before. I admit to total confusion at this point. What do they have? Could they both have trips? If so, wouldn't one of them have have waited until the turn to raise? Maybe someone is check raising with a club draw? Like I said before, total confusion.

Turn : J /images/graemlins/club.gif [8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]

This can't be good. check, bet, call, call. Is this a weak call? Should I have given up already. I have an overpair but I don't feel good about my hand at all.

River : 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif [J /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]

Check, bet, call, call. Another bad call? Should I have given up? Who won, and with what? Results to follow.

rkiray
08-04-2003, 11:26 AM
BB had A9o, flopped TPTK
EP had 55 for flopped set

King_J
08-04-2003, 11:33 AM
....the hand was too tough I think. I had no clue.

SoBeDude
08-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Wow.

I've never been check-raised by two players on the same street before! I think that would confuse anyone.

But here's the thing. Players will CR here with TP/TK, which you crush. they'll also check-raise with the flush draw. An open-ended straight draw is also a possibility.

Given that I think you need to re-raise the flop. You extract the max from TP/TK here, also you charge the draws the most.

When the flush gets there on the turn, yuk. I'd bet out here (after reraising the flop), if raised and called, then I'd fold for sure. depending on my read on the player(s) I might check-fold if bet and called back to me.

-Scott

rkiray
08-04-2003, 12:00 PM
I admit I was confused and actually nervous when it got back to me on the flop. Couldn't remember being in this situation before. Also these players were tight. They had both only been here for a couple of rounds and since they were tight, it was hard to have much of a read on them yet. But the entire table was now tight and aggressive so I was worried.

On the turn, I thought I was behind but had outs. Basically another Q, also I could be good if a fourth flush card appeared. And of course if my straight flush card hit I'm good. I thought about folding, but I must admit I like draws to straight flushes and overvalue them.

Huh
08-04-2003, 12:33 PM
I've seen the double check-raise a number of times, and it usually means one of two things. Either a very strong hand, or someone trying to put pressure on the pfr to fold his overcards/big pair. Now figuring out which is the hard part.

-Huh

rkiray
08-04-2003, 02:14 PM
This is an interesting idea. Now that we know the results and look at it, i believe that the BB's check raise was fine on the flop, but EP should have just called. Given that he has trips, if I have a big pair or overcards, I think he wants me to stay in, so he shouldn't be putting pressure on me. The best thing that could happen for him is if I reraise and BB caps. Plus this would really disguise his hand and he could raise for a big bet. I don't like the second check raise at all.