PDA

View Full Version : Playing online for a living, week 14

davidross
08-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Well my last full week before vacation, so I’m hoping for a big one. Got off to a very good start on Sunday night. We were still at my Aunt’s cottage and I played for 4 hours and posted a nice $677 win. It was a very enjoyable evening as I played with a number of 2+2’ers as well and the conversation was lively too. We drove home Monday afternoon so I didn’t play until Monday night. Had a difficult night, played 4 hours again won $120. Tuesday I managed to get in some afternoon play and only broke even. Quite card dead, only played 21% of the hands which is real low for me. In the evening I played a long 6 hour session and again struggled. Ended the day up $104.

Tuesday night was the first playoff game for my boys soccer team and we had a great game. The playoff schedule is pre-determined before the season starts and in an unfortunate draw we had to play the 2nd place team in the first round (We finished 3rd). The 4th place team had to play the 1st place team as well (there are 10 teams in the league), so the 2nd round is going to have some mismatches. We had a very good game against this team in the regular season in the final minute on a penalty kick after we had a goal disallowed moments earlier, so I knew it would be a good game. We scored first but they got 2 before half time. They had a boy on their team who could run like the wind and scored on 2 long runs. I made some changes and put a faster player back on defence for the 2nd half. In the 2nd half my son scored the tying goal and we went into overtime. Neither team scored and we went to penalty kicks. You’ve never seen so many nervous Mom’s in one place. They scored on their first 3 shots and one of our boys missed. Their 4th kicker shot right at our goalie and he saved it. My son scored to tie it up. Their last kicker was the kid who scored their 2 goals, but our goalie made a great save, and my last player (who has our strongest leg) scored to win it. It was so much fun. Unfortunately I will be away for the semi final (which we should win against the 8th or 10th place team, and the final (which we don’t have a prayer in). If money were no problem I’d probably fly back from Boston for the final, but that’s not happening now. Anyone want to loan me the use of their private jet?

Wednesday had a little of everything. I played in the afternoon for 3 hours and won around $100. In the evening I was playing at Party and was up a very small amount when the servers crashed. I waited a short period of time and decided to go and play at Paradise. I got into a 5/10 game and a 8/16 game, but quickly left the 8/16 game as it was very tight. I played 2 5/10 games for about an hour and made $80. I took a snack break and saw that Party was back up so I switched back. Played at 3 tables with no-one I knew for a short while anyway and made money right away. These games are so much softer without 2+2’ers in them. As the eve on more familiar players joined the table but I managed a very nice $693 win for the day. That puts me at just under $1600 for the week at Party plus the $80 at paradise. Hope it keeps up. I have my sons Birthday next Tuesday, so I won’t be able to play then. I have to demolish my back deck we leave on vacation (we’re having a mudroom put on the back while we’re on vacation) so that will cut into my playing time too. We leave on Friday for Montreal and drive to Maine on Saturday. I still haven’t got a laptop so I don’t know if I will play on vacation or not.

The biggest 3/6 pot I’ve ever been a part of happened last night. Try to put them on hands, and tell me if I should have backed off at some point.

6 limpers to me in the BB and I check 99. Flop comes 9d 8c 4s. 7 players and I don’t feel the need to slowplay. I bet out and get called by the first 3, then raised by the 4th player. Two folds back to me. This was the first tough decision. I’d love to keep people drawing dead, but it’s a pretty big pot already so I 3 bet. UTG called 2, one fold and MP cold call. LP caps it. We all call. I’m putting LP on 2 pair or a smaller set, the other 2 would seem to be drawing to straights. Turn is the 4c. Perfect. I bet out, both call and the LP raises. For about half a second I worry about 44, but I 3 bet. UTG calls 2 again (he must have 67 or T7 maybe even in clubs) and the MP finally folds. LP caps it again. (It has to be 88 right?). We both call. River is the 5h. Beautiful, the 76 straight came in. I bet, UTG calls, and LP raises again. At what point are you convinced he has quads? I made the 3 bet anyway and UTG called 2 cold again. LP caps it and I called. So did UTG. The pot is $220. Review this and see if you can put them on hands. Anyone back off if you were me? Results in 2 paragraphs.

I am playing much tighter lately. It’s not by any design, but there are 2 factors. I seem to have dropped a few of the marginal hands that were probably break even at best and reduced my variance again. The games have been tighter and tougher also. SO with more pre-flop raising, I’m folding more, and with fewer limpers, I can’t play medium suited connectors in LP. All combined I seem to be seeing 24% or less of the flops lately instead of the 27-30 I was seeing just a few weeks ago. Without and noticeable change in my results either.

Back to the $220 pot. I won. UTG had the shocking 88. I never would have guessed that. He flopped the 2nd nuts, turned into the 3rd nuts on the turn and river and never once raised. SO that leaves the big question, what the fu** did the LP have. JJ. Yep. I owe him a big fat check I think. Have I mentioned I love these games?

I am very pleased with my play lately. I think I’m advancing to another level of understanding this game. I won’t pretend to be a great player, but I still have hope of getting there. The concept of position is becoming clearer and clearer to me. I know I always paid lip service to it before, but truly I didn’t understand it’s importance as I’m starting to. I have never folded AT from the BB to a raise before. I would always play it for the one extra bet. But it really started to sink in that even if I flop the best hand, I’ll rarely get full value for it from a good player. I won’t make that last bet. But if I’m beat I will have to pay the extra bet. That really skews the odds away from playing that hand and I’ve dropped it. I’m sure this is obvious to most of you, but it’s really just sinking in to me now.

Another concept coming clearer to me is reverse domination. I raise pre-flop with AK and get called by some dominated fish with A7. Flop comes J73 and he bets. Typically I raise back and try to see 2 more cards, but who’s the dominated fish now? I’m drawing to 3 K’s. And this is so common in these 3/6 games that I’m folding those AK’s on the flop a lot now. Of course when the fish isn’t a fish (like a 2+2’er) I’m not so quick to drop.

A few people have told me I need to change my user name, and I’ve been giving it a lot of thought. I still can’t come up with a good reason to do it. I actually tried when I started playing at Party, but wasn’t able to because the account already existed. I just can’t think of a really good reason why it hurts me. All the readers of these posts know a lot about how I play, but does it give them a big edge over me? I don’t see how. I limp in EP with small pairs and suited connectors too much. The correct counter measure would be to raise me a lot. But I also limp with AA and KK so that will get tricky. I’m not stupid so if the same player keeps raising me frequently I will make counter measures. I recognize good players without know they are 2+2’ers. Several guys have PM’d me their Party Names and I had already pegged them as good players. If I start playing under a new name I will be recognized as a good player fairly quickly even if it’s not as Davidross. I really don’t think It will affect my results to play under a different name.

Well I’m officially running good. I just completed my biggest single week of the 14 I’ve played. During a lot of the last 4 weeks at Party, I’ve felt like I’m winning with average cards. There is no doubt the deck hit me in the face for 2 straight days. I seemed to hit every flop and my big pairs all held up. I won $597 on Thursday, and followed it up with an $820 win on Friday in only 4 hours of play. I only played 2 hours on Saturday and won another $103. So for the week I’m up $3,114. Just what the doctor ordered before going on vacation.

I have noticed a side effect of playing 3 tables. I sleep a lot more now. I have always been someone who didn’t require a lot of sleep. 6 hours a night is plenty for me. When I was working full time I would go to bed at 1:00 and get up at 7:00. Lately I can’t get up in the mornings. I think the extra concentration required for 3 tables is knocking me out.

Girls soccer went well again on Thursday. It looked like my daughter would go without a goal for the first time this year. But with just a couple of minutes left in the game she scored twice and we won 3-0.

Why these games are so good:

I raise in LP with ATo. Button and both blinds call. To illustrate my point I’ll tell you BB has 32o. Flop comes Ac 9c 5h. I bet and two fold but the BB stays on his gutshot. $27 in the pot and it costs him $3. Nothing wrong with this call, he’ll get paid if he hits. Turn is the Jd. I bet and he calls again. This is bad. Really bad and I see these guys making these plays all the time. River is the 6c, and now he bets to represent the flush. I can’t imagine laying down anything except KQo here so I think this is a little weak too, but maybe not bad if he thinks I could lay down something like TT thinking he had an A> So I called and won $12 extra.

Why my opponents think the games are good. I have to be fair. I played this terribly and got very lucky. I have QTo in the cut off. 2 limpers and I limp too. Button and both blinds play. Flop comes Q 8 8. Good news bad news. I’m glad to see the Q, and you can nearly always tell if there is an 8 out there by the betting on the turn. At this limit the 8 will check or smooth call the flop and raise the turn around 90% of the time. It’s why I bet my trips hard on the flop especially against good players. Checked to me and I bet. SB calls and LP calls. Bingo, someone has an 8, I’m almost certain. Other one might have a Q or a pocket pair. That’s my read. Turn is a T. Yuck. I was ready to check the turn behind the slowplayer, but now I have a better 2 pair. Maybe I was wrong about the 8 I try to convince myself. SB bets out on the turn. “DANGER Will Robinson”!! LP raises. YIKES!! Head for the hills right. Wrong. I called. I’m only getting around 4 to 1 here on a 4 outer unless I think I’m ahead. So I convinced myself against my actual reads that I was ahead. Can you spell Fish? I called and it got 3 bet and capped behind me and I called a gain. This call is slightly less bad, because the odds got better, but it’s still bad. Of course in typical fish fashion the Q rivered and I got to cap it against Q 8 who thought he was chopping. He never said but I think the other guy made a straight on the turn.

I won’t be posting anything for at least 3 weeks now, but I will post something when I get back at the end of August. I’ll let you know if I managed to play via cell-phone.

Enjoy your August.

Jim Easton
08-03-2003, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Checked to me and I bet. SB calls and LP calls. Bingo, someone has an 8, I’m almost certain.

[/ QUOTE ]

She wasn't LP, she was EP - UTG, in fact, with Q8s - another reason to love these games.

[ QUOTE ]
He never said but I think the other guy made a straight on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read him for J9.

DesertEagle
08-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Hi David...

I hope you enjoy your vacation as much as we've all enjoyed following your posts /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff

jasonHoldEm
08-03-2003, 07:52 PM
David,

Another great post, congrats on your super week. I wish you the best on your vacation, and if you manage to find the option to play while on vacation affordable I hope you can continue to play well.

jHE

CrackerZack
08-03-2003, 08:43 PM
I enjoyed playing with you david, and glad you're running good, but leave some money with the fish for the rest of us. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Btw, I don't like the limp with QTo. people limp with both worse and better hands there I've seen numerous limps with ATo, KTo, QJo etc, and of course, lots of other crap, but unless I know they play crap, I muck it. If you've seen them limping with crap though, I think its a playable hand. The rest the hand was butchered as you know, nice catch. You're right about the 8 waiting for the turn. GL

anatta
08-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Way to go! I don't fold trouble hands in the BB as much as I should. Thanks for the reminder. Reverse domination was a good tip too. Have an great vacation, David and congrats. I really am happy for you and wish you continued success.

warlockjd
08-04-2003, 08:33 AM
Hi folks. Long time lurker, few posts.
I'd like an opinion from those that played Party 3/6 before David started posting, (ie. Homer and others).

Since his posts, I've found the games have tightened up considerably. Anyone else noticed this? Seems that they resemble the Party 5/10 games a lot more than they used to.

I'm guessing this is due to a much greater goodplayer to fish ratio. Thoughts?

davidross
08-04-2003, 06:24 PM
I have found some sessions much tighter. Last night I played with at least 4 2+2'ers and that table really tightened up then broke. But most of my sessions are still very loose and passive. I haven't tried the 5/10 Party games in 5 weeks so I can't speak to th ecomparison with Paradise.

ReRaise
08-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Because of Davids posts and Partys extra50 bonus, ive decided to make my way to the real money tables. But I wont be at 3/6 for a while. I hope theres still money left when I get there.

DesertEagle
08-05-2003, 12:58 PM
I used to play at the $3-6 tables at party, and was doing quite well. In the last two months I have noticed them tightening up considerably. I don't know many of the 2+2'ers, so I can't say if it's because of them or not, but I've decided to move back down to $2-4 until I can tighten up the leaks in my game.

eMarkM
08-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Good to see you've bounced back from your setbacks of a couple weeks ago.

I was thinking about the whole using your 2+2 name vs not and I don't think it's that big of deal. And I'm the one who orginally said you shouldn't. I look at the page views for this week's post and it's at about 700 right now. That's not a lot of people when you think about the whole poker community world wide. And this is for a popular posting like your updates have become, most counts are much lower. Also, some of those will be repeats (like all the times you look and admire your own post /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Considering Party has +10K playing at any given time that means only a small fraction will have any idea who you are and this assumes all who read your posts play at Party and will sit in games with you. Overall, the great majority will be clueless to how you play. And the ones paying attention will learn how you play anyway by sitting in your games.