PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with loose player in home game

easypete
08-03-2003, 11:56 AM
I've been playing a home game with a loose/passive player. I'm having trouble with him. I need help....

He learned most of his poker skills by watching Rounders about 150 times (so he likes to check/raise a lot for no real reason). He usually doesn't bet on hole cards or the flop. He will always call a bet or raise. If he's OTB, he will bet on fifth street. Most of the time, if I call he has a hand. I can't get a read on him. I don't notice any facial ticks around the mouth, changes in the eyes, or changes in breathing patterns.

We played a $1-$2 structured game yesterday that lasted 8-1/2 hours (lots of trading chips). He only folded about 10 times total, so I know he's playing a lot of bad hands. If we're playing with 5-8 players, he's usually the first one out, but when we play 4 or less, he's usually a factor heads up.

I was playing per strategy in HFEP part 5 (playing short handed). I was playing any pair, any ace, 2 cards>=9, suited connectors, suited one gap (except 42s and 32s), Kxs. I avoided any hole cards with 3 or 2.

In one hand, I had pocket rockets OTB, he called. Flop came 10,8,A (rainbow). I bet, he called (hand went heads up). The turn came 6 (no possibility of flush). I bet, he called. The river showed a 6. I think everyone knows where this is going... he had pocket 6's. I didn't think of this possibility because he should have folded on 6's when i was betting higher pairs. This was typical of the first 4 hours of play.

At this point, I was down to $1.50, he had about $65. I ended up sticking with my original game plan (but only had 3 hand to go before the blinds would eat my chips). I had a run of 4 hands that got my chip count up to about $10. I ended up taking all his chips in the next 4-1/2 hours, but that was too close for playing someone who plays that loose.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I play more card combo's? Should I play less? How far do I chase cards?

Thanks in advance.

Yardbird
08-04-2003, 11:08 PM
I think you're doing fine---the law of averages was just biting you in the ass---you got all his chips in the end, which seems to indicate to me that you're alright. You just need a little boost of confidence following a self-percieved failure against someone who you feel should never have been able to hurt you as badly as they did (it was a random series of events, don't sweat it too much, or you'll be mentally signing yourself up for a weakness spiral).

R E L A X.

If you really must read anything into this event, it's that you have the skill and the determination to grind back from a significant setback. G4U.