PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else find NL less draining/tiring?

Byrn
08-03-2003, 02:10 AM
I have recently started playing NL online as a change of pace from limit online. One thing I have noticed is that I can go for much longer sessions without getting tired, distracted, stressed or whatever else might cause me to NEED to stop playing.

For example, I usually play 2/4 or 3/6 limit, and after about 3 or 4 hours I usually am not playing at my peak level. In NL I have put in a bunch of sessions that long and noticed I didn't wear down as much as I would mentally and physically. In fact, I just put in a 5 hour session last night and again tonight and feel like I could do more, if I had done that in limit I would feel burnt out and have to take a few days off to get back to my peak playing level.

Anyone else notice this? I'm trying to guess why. Maybe it is because the swings are less drastic. Maybe it is because the decisions are easier, and a draw out is easier to take (even though it might be for all my chips). I think it might be because I stay much more interested in the game, really studying my opponents, trapping, etc.

Thoughts??

Legend27
08-03-2003, 02:36 AM
I get bored playing limit too. It's harder to alot of money in limit compared to no-limit. It's easier for people to suck out on you in limit and heck somtimes they get odds to do it. In NL you can put the hurt on their draws. For me the choice is simple because in NL I win alot more consistently (I have had 3 down/even days in 2 months on NL and I average playing 5 days a week) and I have been winning alot $ per day consistently (I sort of said the same thing twice).

arod4276
08-03-2003, 03:44 AM
I agree that limit poker becomes a grind at times. Hence the term grinder. Ask anybody who plays limit poker for a living. It can get boring. At times it is like you are a robot. No- limit is much more exciting, therefore it may keep your devout attention for lnger periods of time. However I have to disagree with another point in your post. From my experience the swings are much greater in no-limit. In limit poker youre not going to lose youre whole stack on a two outer on the river. Maybe twelve or more big bets on a particular hand but not your whole stack.

arod

Legend27
08-03-2003, 04:22 AM
The reason I switched from limit to NL is because of the swings. In limit I was losing money 20% of the time, breaking even 25% of the time and winning money about 55% of the time. In NL I lose money 5% of the time, break even about 15% of the time and win money about 80% the time. My variance dropped like a rock when I switched to NL. I've played about 100,000 hands of limit and 150,000 hands of NL.

Hung
08-03-2003, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In NL I lose money 5% of the time, break even about 15% of the time and win money about 80% the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I've tried limit and I never win a lot of money playing small limits. But maybe I just don't understand how to play limit.

RollaJ
08-03-2003, 11:49 AM
I think the main reason is that you get to play about 50% more hands in NL, at least I do. Implied odds go a long way. Plus on a bad runs of cards you can sit back and wait and pay tiny blinds compared to what you win when you win

tiltboy
08-03-2003, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We're seeing things in a different way, and God knows it aint his--Aerosmith

[/ QUOTE ]
There is currently a pretty cool Rockumentary on VH-1 on Steven and the boys. If you are a fan, it is a must-see.

thylacine
08-03-2003, 04:01 PM
YES!! Just started playing a few days ago and I love it. Just playing microlimit, and little tourneys, as I learn the game, but I find it relaxing and fun. I got more enjoyment running up an $8.73 score at .01/.02 NLHE, than grinding out a hundred bucks at LHE, though I spose I should try to balance my priorities. I'll see what happens when I move up to the minilimits.

Robk
08-03-2003, 04:01 PM
>From my experience the swings are much greater in no-limit

It can seem this way but it's just not true. The variance in NL is indeed higher, but your winrate is so much higher in NL that the swings will be smaller.

My no-limit coefficient of variation = 2.25
My limit c.o.v. = 5

RollaJ
08-04-2003, 09:06 AM
As I found out yesterday, suckouts will kill you. I lost $470 on Empire NL in about 3 hours or so, and I started up $200. It was crazy! Hand after hand, sucked out on. About 9 hands I put my money in on the turn as a big favorite, 2-1 3-1 4-1 even lost to a one outer on 1 and kept losing big money. (1 hand i put it in as an underdog overpair vs over pair). But it just hurt all day long /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I finally recouped a bit when I finished 2nd in a $50 sng, and 1st in a $30 sng. Net loss for the day was about $250, but it was the way I lost the hands that was really killing me. Horrible calls just kept getting there.........YUCK!

On a side not I won a bit over $700 at the Trop 10-20-30 on Saturday. I had never played that game there, but it worked out well /images/graemlins/grin.gif(I went 4 hours without winning a hand at one point, then I flopped the nut str8 with an open ended str8-flush draw and took down a $500+ pot...... it all turned around then)