PDA

View Full Version : The Road to Perdition

07-07-2002, 01:03 AM
Tell the truth now, how many of you A) had to look up the word "perdition" to see what it means and B) are old enough to think The Road to Perdition is a new Hope-Crosby movie?

I'll admit to A.

BTW, I saw The Bourne Identity today. Anyone else dislike it? No story, Damon very boring (Mrs. Fox loved his body), car chases and shooting, a non-tongue-in-cheek Mission Impossible with a sappy ending. Even the music, which I loved for the first hour, diappointed in the second half.

07-07-2002, 02:06 AM
Andy -

Haven't looked up perdition, but need to.

As for Bourne Identity...I'm a big fan of Damon, usually, but wasn't overly impressed with him here. However, as a future CIA agent, I pretty much like any movie about the agency....even The Sum of All Fears (which was basically bad).

Now, to the Websters...

Josh

07-07-2002, 02:41 AM
I know someone who's with the CIA, I have to ask him if this is what they do, train robotic killers to eliminate someone just because he's

"a pain in the ass" and then tie up the loose ends by killing their own people so that they don't have to tell the truth to Congress. I shoulda known when Dr. Laura said she loved the movie how morally corrupt it would be.

07-07-2002, 05:15 AM
How do you know what Dr. Laura says?

07-07-2002, 09:44 AM
hope-crosby?? now you are really showing your age. :-)

i had to look up A also.

Pat

07-07-2002, 12:43 PM
with good intentions, is the road to Heaven paved with bad intentions?

Andy,

Watched Gorky Park on AMC a few days ago--an unheralded masterpiece, IMO.

07-07-2002, 12:53 PM
I actually liked the Bourne Identity. A lot.

I didn't A or B because though I don't know exactly what perdition means I also really don't care that much. Even if it was a great movie that I went to see I wouldn't have looked it up. Call me lazy. You ruined it though so now I have to go look it up.

I assume from the context and previews that it means something along the lines of forgiveness or being pardoned.

07-07-2002, 12:54 PM
Well I was completely and utterly wrong.

07-07-2002, 03:39 PM
I have to agree about Gorky Park. I think at the time it came out certain reviewers were upset that the ending was changed, but I thought it was strong. But I'm a big Lee Marvin fan, so I might be prejudiced...

Think I'll rent it for another veiwing.

07-07-2002, 10:51 PM
OK, I had to look it up, too. Click the link if you're vocabulary-challenged like me.

07-08-2002, 12:54 AM
We're talking Laura Schlesinger here, not the Laura who plays in your game. I listen to Dr. Laura whenever I have the chance because it reminds me that you don't have to know anything about what you're talking about to be regarded as authoritative on talk radio, especially the station she's on. I'd sooner take advice from Laura the poker player.

07-08-2002, 01:00 AM
Haven't seen it, I'll try to catch it, thanks.

I saw About A Boy today, liked it a lot. Not exactly Citizen Kane, but very charming and touching, and with wonderful performances by Hugh Grant and whoever played the Boy.

07-08-2002, 01:08 AM
So has everyone I've spoken to about it and the L.A. Times (I live in L.A.) raved about it too. That's why I asked if anyone else felt as I did.

Just found out it was directed by the same guy who directed "Swingers" which I disliked intensely as well, and was also loved by most people I spoke to who saw it. It also had no plot, or as one review of Bourne wrote, it "suffers from a fatal lack of purpose."

The previews for Perdition sure are pompous, aren't they?

07-08-2002, 03:10 AM
I know who Dr. Laura is. I just didn't think anyone with half a brain actually listened to her. I would rather listen to static between stations.

07-08-2002, 03:22 AM
Andy,

I read the book too (great, but a bit dated now) and still liked the movie a lot despite the ending.

The love scene between Arkady Renko (William Hurt) and Irina (Joanna Pacula) was better than the one he did with Catherine Turner in "Body Heat" IMO.

Regards,

Rick

07-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Rick,

I read the book, too, if you remember. If you don't, I'll remind you. You bought it for me after I helped you move--that is helped you move your stuff. You were in California at the time, sparing yourself the arduous task of actually doing anything while I labored assiduously from sunup to sundown. In return, you bought Gorky Park for me--because you wanted to read it when I finsihed.

John

07-08-2002, 12:54 PM
John,

But my Mom at least served lunch I hope! Besides, I still have a lot of that stuff.

Regards,

Rick

07-09-2002, 05:00 PM